Los Angeles

O.C. Beaches Reopen After Million-Gallon Sewage Spill Is Stopped

Authorities have reopened about six miles of Orange County beaches and ocean bay water areas closed by a 1.4-million-gallon sewage spill. The city of Laguna Beach says wastewater began leaking from a broken valve on a 24-inch city sewage pipe near a wilderness park on Wednesday. The valve was replaced shortly after noon Friday. The city reduced its initial estimate of the spill from 4 million to about 1.4 million gallons. County health officials closed more than 16 miles of beaches and bay water areas from Newport Beach to the San Clemente border. About six miles were later reopened but several miles will remain closed until results of water quality tests meet state standards. The wastewater leak has been stopped, and the estimated wastewater spill volume is 1.4 million gallons, significantly less than the initial estimate of 4 million gallons. As a result, the OC Health Care Agency is reducing beach closures. https://t.co/Ic5t2LhKWi pic.twitter.com/DsPzkmXDEp — City of Laguna Beach (@lagunabeachgov) November 30, 2019 Friday, November 29, 9:30 a.m. — The City of Laguna Beach is asking residents north of Nyes Place to continue a voluntary…

Man Arrested After Choking Riverside Officer Who Was Responding to Domestic Disturbance Call: Police

A 41-year-old Riverside man was arrested after he choked an officer and injured another who were responding to reports of a domestic disturbance Thursday, the Riverside Police Department said. Salvador Mario Martinez, 41, is seen in a photo provided by the Riverside Police Department on Nov. 29, 2019. Police responded at the 3600 block of Chestnut Street at about 7:46 a.m. after a caller reported a man who appeared intoxicated and who was throwing things around inside a home, authorities said. The officers found a man who “became confrontational with the officers and a physical altercation occurred,” police said in a news release. “During the altercation, the suspect and officers fell to the ground and the suspect began violently attacking one of them by choking her almost to the point of unconsciousness,” the department said. Police said the man ignored commands to get off the officer and “force was used” to take him into custody. Two officers were taken to a local hospital for treatment and later released, including a female officer who is recovering at home after being aggressively choked, police said. The man,…

Police Seek Hit-and-Run Driver Who Killed Man Crossing South L.A. Street on Thanksgiving

Investigators are seeking the public’s help in tracking down a motorist who fled the scene after fatally striking a pedestrian in the Chesterfield Square area of South Los Angeles early Thanksgiving morning. The man was crossing south on the 2000 block of Florence Avenue near a strip mall when sedan struck him around 6:10 a.m. Thursday, the L.A. Police Department said in a news release. Detectives say the black, four-door car was headed west on Florence when it ran into the man just west of Gramercy Place. The sedan continued driving without stopping to check on the victim or render aid, police said. Paramedics responded and took the man to a hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries, according to LAPD. The victim’s identity is “not available,” the police news release says. So far, investigators have not been able to uncover surveillance video, and they’re hoping any witnesses will come forward. As with any fatal hit-and-run in the city, a $50,000 reward is tied to information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case. Anyone with information can contact Detective Moreno or Officer…

Man in Custody After Officer Wounded in Boyle Heights Shooting

A 21-year-old man was taken into custody on suspicion of shooting and wounding a Los Angeles Police Department officer during a gun battle in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles Friday, authorities said. Officers from a gang unit approached the man while on patrol at about 7: 10 p.m. in the area of Malabar and Fickett street. The man fired at an officer, wounding him in the arm, LAPD Chief Michel Moore said. The officer returned fire but the man did not suffer any injuries, according to Moore. Police said the suspect was detained by another officer a short time later. The wounded officer, a five-year veteran of the department, was taken to a hospital in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery, according to Moore. “We’re blessed tonight that this injury is not more serious and did not take his life,” the chief said at a news conference. Aerial footage from Sky5 showed several police cruisers near a store in the area where the shooting was reported. Officers recovered a firearm believed to have been used to shoot the officer…

Twitter Permanently Suspends Account of Republican Running to Challenge Rep. Ilhan Omar

A Republican candidate running to challenge Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota had her Twitter account permanently suspended for repeated violations of Twitter rules, according to a Twitter spokesperson. Danielle Stella says she was banned for a tweet in which she spread a baseless claim about Omar and said if the claim is true, Omar should be tried for treason and hanged, according to a post to her Facebook account. Two Twitter accounts of Stella’s have been suspended, her campaign confirmed to CNN. Omar has been a frequent target of smears and attacks by President Donald Trump and his supporters. In April, Omar said she experienced an increase in death threats after Trump tweeted about a speech she had given the month before. “This just shows how far the Republican Party has fallen under Trump. Their campaign strategy is just threats, disinformation and smears against their opponents and the people will continue to reject it,” Omar said in a statement. On Friday, Omar reacted to the suspension in a post on Twitter, saying “violent rhetoric” leads to “violent threats.” “This is the natural result of a political environment where anti-Muslim dogwhistles and dehumanization are…

Singer Sia Surprises Walmart Shoppers in Palm Springs — and Pays for Their Hauls

It’s not every day you run into a top-selling pop singer at your neighborhood Walmart, but that’s what happened to shoppers in Palm Springs on Wednesday. Australian singer Sia was at the local Walmart and TJ Maxx, where video shows her hugging customers and paying for their merchandise. Witnesses say the Grammy nominee told shoppers she was a woman named Cici who just won the lottery as she paid for their merchandise. The “Chandelier” and “Cheap Thrills” singer is known for covering her face with large wigs and performing with her back turned to the audience — which she’s said is an effort to avoid being spotted on the street. The strategy may have worked, after all: Witnesses told KESQ in Palm Springs that most shoppers didn’t recognize Sia without her signature getup.

Highway 1 to Shut Down in Big Sur Area This Weekend Due to Forecast of Heavy Rainfall

With a major storm closing in on Northern California, officials announced Friday that a mudslide-prone section of Highway 1 will be closed through Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park this weekend. The road will shut down at 5 p.m. Saturday in the Paul’s Slide area, at mile marker 21.5, and 9 a.m. Sunday at Mud Creek, mile marker 9, according to Caltrans. Mud Creek is about 9 miles north of Ragged Point, while Paul’s Slide is just south of Lucia, the agency said. #Hwy1 #BigSur Update: due to major storm forecast, section at Paul’s Slide (Mile Marker 21.5) will CLOSE at 5pm on Sat, 11/30 while Mud Creek (MM 9) will shut down at 9am Sunday, 12/1. Our crews will assess road conditions when safe. @bigsurkate @BigSurCChttps://t.co/wIsxEvlBnI — Caltrans District 5 (@CaltransD5) November 29, 2019 The rugged stretch of Monterey County coastline is a popular destination for tourists, and the highway is used as a scenic route for travel between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Earlier this month, Caltrans said it would give 48-hour warning of any closures to allow the public time to prepare, the…

Officer Wounded in Boyle Heights Shooting; 1 in Custody

One person is in custody after a Los Angeles Police Department officer was shot in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles Friday, authorities said. The officer was wounded in the area of Malabar and Fickett streets, LAPD Officer Mike Lopez said, adding that the officer’s wounds did not appear life-threatening. No further details were immediately available. Check back for updates on this developing story. KTLA’s Matt Phillips contributed to this report. There has been an Officer-Involved Shooting in Boyle Heights, in the area of Malabar St and North Fickett St. A Public Information Officer is responding to the scene and we will provide more details as they become available. — LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) November 30, 2019

Community Shaken by Death of Pro Climber Brad Gobright After Fall in Mexico

Members of the rock climbing community are shaken and devastated following the death of beloved professional climber Brad Gobright. Gobright died in a climbing accident on Wednesday at Sendero Luminoso in El Potrero Chico in northern Mexico, falling almost 1,000 feet after his rope slipped through his rappel device. Gobright, 31, was a accomplished climber. He was the first climber to complete ropeless ascents of Doub-Griffith and Hairstyles and Attitudes, two climbing routes in Colorado’s Eldorado Canyon, according to Climbing Magazine. He also once set a speed record climbing a route called the Nose on El Capitan in Yosemite National Park, according to National Geographic. His time was 2 hours, 19 minutes and 44 seconds, although that record has since been broken. Close friends and fellow climbers remembered the famous climber after news of his death broke. One of the most famous climbers in the world, Alex Honnold, paid tribute to his friend on Instagram, saying that Gobright was “one of a handful of partners that I always loved spending a day with.” Gobright’s death has raised widespread concerns about the dangers of climbing, especially outdoors. Honnold acknowledged this,…

Powerful Storm Causing Major Disruptions During Nation’s Busiest Travel Weekend

A powerful storm making its way east from California is causing major disruptions during the year’s busiest travel weekend, as forecasters warned that intensifying snow and ice could thwart millions of people across the country hoping to get home after Thanksgiving. The storm caused the death of at least one person in South Dakota and shut down highways in the western U.S., stranding drivers in California and prompting authorities in Arizona to plead with travelers to wait out the weather before attempting to travel. The storm was tracking into the Plains Friday and expected to track east through the weekend — into the Midwest by Saturday and the Northeast on Sunday — pummeling a huge portion of the country with snow, ice or flash flooding. The National Weather Service said travel could become impossible in some places. The weather could be particularly disruptive on Sunday, when millions of holiday travelers head home. Airlines for America, the airline industry’s trade group, expects 3.1 million passengers during what could be the busiest day ever recorded for American air travel. The weather service issued storm warnings Friday for…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!