Santa Ana River swimming spot still closed in Jurupa Valley after concern over deadly bacteria

Despite the hot weather this weekend, officials are warning people to stay away from a popular Santa Ana River swimming spot in Jurupa Valley because of the possible presence of a deadly bacteria. But official accounts have varied — without explanation — on how many people have been infected and who they are. On Thursday night, Aug. 8, Jurupa Valley officials announced there were six cases, but on Friday, Aug. 9, Riverside County said there were two. On Thursday night, Jurupa Valley officials indefinitely closed off access to the river near the corner of Downey and 64th Streets in the city due to the possible presence of Shigella bacteria, which kills about 600,000 worldwide each year. A warning sign is posted along the Santa Ana River, at 64th Street and Downey Street, in Jurupa Valley on Friday, Aug. 9. (Photo by Jennifer Cappuccio Maher, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/SCNG) A family makes its way to the Santa Ana River near the intersection of 64th Street and Downey Street in Jurupa Valley on Friday, Aug. 9. The popular swimming area is closed due to the possible presence…

Bid on a tour of ISS Props at Temecula Valley Woman’s Club’s ‘Hollywood Under the Stars’ gala

A behind-the-scenes tour of ISS Props is one of the items that will be up for bids at the Temecula Valley Woman’s Club’s “Hollywood Under the Stars” gala to be held 5-10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, at the Morgan Estate in Temecula. ISS Props, based in the Sunland area of Los Angeles, has a collection of more than 2 million movie and theatrical props and a custom graphics and manufacturing shop, according to a press release from the Temecula Valley Woman’s Club. In addition to 150,000 square feet of warehouse space in Sunland, ISS Props has locations in nine states and in London. Those who win the tour will have a chance to hold Thor’s hammer, get a photo with Sqweeks from “Transformers” and more. For information about ISS Props, go to issprops.com. In addition to the live auction, the outdoor gala will include hors d’oeuvres, an open bar, dinner, silent auction and a performance by Hollywood Revisited, a musical revue showcasing costumes worn in Hollywood films. Proceeds will go to scholarships for local high school students and other community projects and charities. Tickets are…

Suspect named in Riverside attempted abduction

Police on Friday identified a man who allegedly tried to kidnap a 14-year-old girl then hit her on the head earlier this week in Riverside. The victim fought back and got away. Detectives believe Henry “Oscar” Mazariegos-Gonzalez, 29, of Riverside may have fled to Mexico to avoid capture, according to Officer Ryan J. Railsback, spokesman for the Riverside Police Department. Police have not found the object the suspect hit the victim with, but officers have located the pickup truck used during the Tuesday attempted abduction in the Arlanza neighborhood of the city. Railsback said patrol officers saw the pickup Wednesday morning parked at an apartment complex about a mile away from the scene of the attempted kidnapping. They contacted the owner. “We don’t believe the owner of the truck had any knowledge or any involvement in this case,” Railsback said, adding that the suspect borrowed the white Toyota Tundra from the owner.   The attempted kidnapping occurred between 8 and 8:30 a.m. Tuesday on the 6200 block of Rutland Avenue. The suspect approached the teen from a parked pickup truck as she was walking on…

San Francisco Emergency Crews Rescue Man, Child From Cliff

Emergency crews in San Francisco rescued a man and a child from a cliff at the Aquatic Park Friday afternoon. The San Francisco Fire Department said in a tweet that the child fell down the cliff on a bicycle. 1 Dead, 2 Hurt in Fiery Crash on NB 101 in the South Bay No additional information was immediately available.  Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

11-Year-Old With Down Syndrome On Mission To Spread Awareness

LODI (CBS13) — A very sharply-dressed young man is on a mission to spread awareness about living with Down Syndrome and he’s about to be given a very big platform to spread the word. Micah Ward’s face will soon be seen on the giant big screen in Times Square as part of an awareness campaign. Soon to be 11 years old, Ward is over the moon to be headed to the Big Apple. “I mean he’s everything good–to be honest–everything good wrapped up in one little guy,” said his mom, Nina Ward. “I was thrilled–over the moon–excited–jumping up and down like I won the lottery.” READ: Cheerleader With Down Syndrome Makes All-American Team In a way, the Ward family did win the lottery. Micah was chosen out of 3,000 entries to have his picture put up on the big screen in Times Square. The images of 500 other kids and adults with Down Syndrome will also flash for everyone to see that people with Down Syndrome are vital threads to the fabric of human kindness. Just ask Micah’s teacher. “They’re just like everybody else, no…

School Leaders Stop Teacher From Discussing The “Gender Unicorn”

DENAIR (CBS13) – Is it appropriate to ask middle school students about their sexual preferences? It’s a question Denair School District leaders are dealing with. The school principal stopped a middle school teacher from handing out a worksheet asking that question to students this week. Now some parents say they’re concerned. It was the first day of school at Denair Middle School when a 7th and 8th-grade science teacher handed out a worksheet called “the gender unicorn.” “I think a lot of parents are really upset about that,” said one parent. Another mom of two kids in the district told us, “My kids don’t need to be around that.” The handout is of a graphic from Trans Student Educational Resources. It shows various forms of gender identity. READ ALSO:  Rocklin School Board Approves New Curriculum, Including LGBT Profiles It asks questions like, “What is your gender identity?” and, “What is your gender expression?” Parents we spoke with are upset about these questions also on the worksheet, “What are you sexually and emotionally attracted to?” Jenn Weenk’s son has this teacher for science class and received the…

Modesto Denies Permit For Straight Pride Event

MODESTO (CBS13) — The city of Modesto denied the permit for the highly controversial Straight Pride Parade. The city cited two reasons for denying the permit. First, they said the event organizers did not get the event insured. Second, the city cited safety concerns. City spokesperson Thomas Reeves said the insurance carrier denied insurance for the event Friday. “If you don’t have insurance, you can’t reserve one of our parks,” Reeves said. “The second thing is our concern for safety. We have a big concern for the safety of the residents around Graceada Park, which is where this is being proposed, but also for those who are participating in this.” The proposed event was scheduled for Aug. 24 in Graceada Park’s Mancini Bowl. READ ALSO: Plans For Straight Pride Rally Lead To High Tensions In Modesto The man behind the event is Don Grundmann of the National Straight Pride Coalition. He says the parade is his group’s cultural answer to their opponents. When asked what that means Grundmann responded, “anyone that supports the LGBTQ lifestyle.” “Essentially it boils down to two religious views of the world,”…

Judge Grants Release Of Hamid Hayat After 2006 Terror Conviction Was Overturned

LODI (CBS13) — A judge has granted the release of Hamid Hayat, whose 2006 terror conviction was overturned last week. The terms of his release include no travel outside of the Eastern District of California and a curfew while prosecutors decide whether to retry his case. A federal judge filed court papers declaring Hayat’s prison sentence is now vacated over “deficient representation.” The documents read: “…[Hayat’s attorney] Wazhma Mojaddidi failed to adequately investigate certain defenses on Hayat’s behalf and to effectively represent him on certain issues during trial.” READ ALSO: Family Of Hamid Hayat Urges Quick Release After Judge Overturns 2006 Terror Conviction Hayat’s attorney had never represented a client in a criminal case, and she did not seek alibi witnesses, who have since come forward with statements a judge has ruled as facts. Hayat was accused of attending a terrorist training camp in Pakistan and plotting to attack the U.S.

Candidate Conflict in Cathedral City’s Special Election

Just two weeks before the Cathedral City’s District One special election is over, a candidate filed a restraining order against her opponent’s husband claiming she was intimidated at a friend’s event. Rita Lamb finished filing a Civil Harassment Restraining Order on Friday against Alan Carvalho, the husband of Shelley Kaplan who is running against Lamb for the city council seat. Lamb said she was sitting at a friend’s event when Carvalho went up to her, “Pointed at me and leaned into me and he’s a big guy and I was intimidated and frightened.” This interaction was regarding a video clip shot by Carvalho and used by the Lamb campaign without his permission. Kaplan showed NBC Palm Springs a past interaction between the spouses, on that instance, Carvalho approached the Lambs while moving a campaign sign, Carvalho said, “I haven’t seen you in any LGBT events ever.” Lamb’s husband responded, ” Are you Heterophobic?”  Carvalho said, “Thank you for saying that.” Lamb said she did not expect any of this conflict when she decided to run for the city council, she is a retired school principal who…

Man charged in robbery of a North Park bank that lead to a chase shutting down the freeway

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A robbery charge was filed today against a man who allegedly held up a North Park bank and was arrested less than an hour later on Interstate 5 in Chula Vista, triggering a partial closure of the freeway while police checked his car. Gustavo Torres, 32, faces 15 years in state prison if convicted of the robbery count, along with allegations of having prior strikes and serious felony convictions, stemming from the Wednesday afternoon heist at a US Bank branch at 3201 University Ave. A man wearing an orange shirt and blue jeans entered the bank about 4:45 p.m. demanded cash from a bank employee, then fled in a vehicle with an undisclosed amount of money. Officers caught up with the suspect a short time later and tailed him as he drove south on I-5, San Diego police Officer Robert Heims said. Around 5:30 p.m., the suspect pulled to a stop in the middle of the freeway near Palomar Street and police shut down the southbound lanes. A sweep of the car turned up “a large sum of cash and an…

Vegas man arrested, accused of plotting to bomb a synagogue and a LGBTQ event

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A 23-year-old Las Vegas man who authorities say worked as a security guard has been arrested and accused of plotting to firebomb a synagogue or a bar catering to LGBTQ customers. A U.S. magistrate judge on Friday ordered Conor Climo to remain in federal custody following his arraignment on a federal firearms charge that could get him 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Climo’s court-appointed attorney didn’t immediately respond to messages. U.S. Attorney Nicholas Trutanich says Climo was arrested Thursday, after an FBI-led anti-terrorism investigation and the discovery at Climo’s home of diagrams and items that could make bombs. Court documents say Climo communicated by encrypted internet chat with people identified as white supremacists, and told an FBI informant recently that he was scouting places to attack. Categories: National & International News

Fire Department Official Accused of Using City Car to Block, Threaten Uber Driver Could Avoid Criminal Charges

Peter Sanders, a civilian employee and chief spokesman for the Los Angeles Fire Department, will go behind closed doors with a hearing officer in October to face accusations he used a city car to stop and threaten an Uber driver at a Trader Joe’s in Studio City. The diversion program allows suspects to avoid criminal charges and an arrest record if they don’t commit similar conduct for one year. “The suspect and the alleged victim will each have the opportunity, on separate dates, to speak about the subject incident with a hearing officer,” Rob Wilcox, spokesman for City Attorney Mike Feuer, wrote in a statement. “The suspect will be admonished and informed that their conduct could constitute a crime and that if there is any similar conduct, charges for the original incident may be filed before the expiration of the one-year statute of limitations.” This year, the office scheduled 4,420 hearings and held 2,841. Wilcox said the office selected the diversion program based on the circumstances and evidence. He declined to comment on the evidence. Read the full story on LATime.com.

Democrats in Iowa Criticize Trump, Not Each Other

The packed field of Democratic presidential candidates descended Friday night on a small, northern Iowa town, delighting a raucous crowd of voters by largely attacking President Donald Trump rather than each other. Some of the loudest applause at the Wing Ding fundraiser came for Mayor Pete Buttigeig of South Bend, Indiana, who accused the president of “coddling white nationalism” and mocked Trump’s background in television, saying he wasn’t sure if its current occupant had turned the White House into a “reality show” or a “horror show.” “What we’re going to do is pick up the remote and change the channel,” Buttigeig, the youngest presidential candidate, proclaimed to sustained applause. Also getting a loud reception was Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who repeatedly championed “independent farmers” and said that, as president, she’d negotiate real trade deals with China and other countries, not make policy via Twitter. Once a low-key fundraiser that served up chicken wings and raised money for Democratic candidates and nearby county parties, the event has grown in stature in the state that kicks off presidential primary voting. Sen. Amy Klobuchar of neighboring Minnesota poked…

Walmart Removing Depictions of Violence in Video Game Displays at Stores Nationwide After El Paso Mass Shooting

Walmart has ordered workers to remove video game signs and displays that depict violence from stores nationwide after 22 people died in a shooting at one of its Texas stores, but the big box retailer will continue to sell guns. In an internal memo, the retailer told employees to remove any violent marketing material, unplug Xbox and PlayStation consoles that show violent video games and turn off any violence depicted on screens in its electronics departments. Employees also were asked to shut off hunting season videos in the sporting goods department where guns are sold. “Remove from the salesfloor or turn off these items immediately,” the memo said. Walmart will still sell the violent video games and hasn’t made any changes to its gun sales policy, despite pressure from workers, politicians and activists to do so. “We’ve taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week,” Walmart spokeswoman Tara House said in an email. She declined to answer any questions beyond the statement. Detractors panned the move as an empty gesture aimed a deflecting criticism rather than solving a problem. “That…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!