LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – Blame it on the beards. Procter & Gamble announced this week the company took an $8 billion writedown on men’s grooming brand Gillette because millennials are less likely to shave their beards as much as previous generations. A P&G corporate earnings statement said the one-time, pre-tax $8.3 billion charge due to what it described as a “market contraction of blades and razors…due to lower shaving frequency”. The 118-year-old company still beat Wall Street forecasts despite the loss, but the trend appears to be a long-term one: the U.S. market for men’s shaving products has shrunk by over 11% in the past five years, according to recent data. While the recent popularity of beards among men is well-documented, some on social media are also attributing the writedown to backlash over Gillette’s controversial ad released earlier this year. The ad drew both praise and criticism and even prompted the “#BoycottGillette” campaign, though its unclear how much that effort impacted the razor maker’s sales.
Layoffs will include assemblers along with maintenance and facility-service jobs, such as janitors.
Deputies are investigating after two people were shot Thursday afternoon in north Sacramento County, the sheriff’s office said.
Dramatic video shows a group of good Samaritans who helped a trapped motorcyclist on an interstate.
“There’s no way I did it by myself. I’m strong, but he always made me stronger.”
The game was originally purchased in December 1988 for $38.45.
John Earnest’s lawyer asked for a delay in proceedings while he wades through evidence to prepare for a preliminary hearing in San Diego Superior Court.
Event to support infants in neonatal intensive care units
The man at the center of a Sunday shooting in Keyes has prompted the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department to begin a manhunt.
A fatal collision Tuesday afternoon in a rural part of Turlock was caused by one driver running a stop sign at a high rate of speed, the California Highway Patrol reported.
WOODLAND (CBS13) – Rohail Sarwar, 28, was convicted today of the first-degree murder of Cottonwood Massage employee Junying Lu on August 21, 2018, announced District Attorney Jeff Reisig. READ: Suspect Arrested In Woodland Massage Parlor Murder According to evidence presented during the trial, Sarwar had received a massage at Cottonwood Massage in late July or early August of last year. Following the massage, Sarwar attacked the masseuse and demanded sex. The two struggled until the convicted left on foot. The assault had gone unreported at first due to the masseuse thinking she would not be believed. On August 21, 2018, evidence showed that Sarwar called his mistress, wanting to meet for sex. When she said she was unable to meet, Sarwar walked to Cottonwood Plaza, where the massage parlor is located, entered a liquor store and purchased a knife. After monitoring the front door of Cottonwood Massage for several minutes, Sarwar entered and requested a massage from Lu, who was the only employee inside at the time. Sarwar then stabbed Lu fourteen times, four of which were fatal. READ: Man Accused Of Killing Woodland Massage Business…
NORTH HIGHLANDS (CBS13) — The Sacramento County Sheriff’s homicide team is investigating a shooting killed a man and injured a woman behind a strip mall. Responding deputies found a male and female shot behind the businesses around 4 p.m. Thursday. Deputies said the man was declared deceased at the scene. The female victim was transported to an area hospital and is in critical condition. The Sacramento County Sheriff’s office said deputies responded to the business on the 5300 block Auburn Boulevard after witness reportedly called officials after hearing the shots from inside the strip mall. Deputies do not believe a suspect is at large and said they found a weapon at the scene. The Sheriff’s Department said this shooting is not connected to the shooting blocks away at Madison and College Oak Drive Wednesday. READ MORE: Gunman Opened Fire Near Jack In The Box On Madison Avenue & College Oak Drive This is a developing story. Check back for more details.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — J.T. Realmuto answered the challenge. Realmuto hit a three-run homer and fell a triple shy of the cycle, Cesar Hernandez and Roman Quinn also went deep, and the Philadelphia Phillies beat the San Francisco Giants 10-2 Thursday. A day earlier, Phillies general manager Matt Klentak said: “For this team to accomplish what it wants to accomplish we’re going to need the stars in that room to carry us.” Swipe through photos from the game below. San Francisco Giants v Philadelphia PhilliesPHILADELPHIA, PA – JULY 31: Will Smith #13 of the San Francisco Giants shakes hands with Buster Posey #28 after the game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on July 31, 2019 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Giants defeated the Phillies 5-1. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images) San Francisco Giants v Philadelphia PhilliesPHILADELPHIA, PA – AUGUST 01: Jake Arrieta #49 of the Philadelphia Phillies throws a pitch in the top of the first inning against the San Francisco Giants at Citizens Bank Park on August 1, 2019 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images) San Francisco Giants v Philadelphia PhilliesPHILADELPHIA,…
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Matt Chapman hit a two-run home run off struggling closer Josh Hader in the eighth inning to break out of a long slump and the Oakland Athletics beat the Milwaukee Brewers 5-3 Thursday. The A’s trailed 3-2 when Robbie Grossman walked leading off the eighth against Hader, an All-Star reliever who pitched for a third consecutive day for the first time in his career. Chapman, who had one hit and 13 strikeouts in his previous 30 at-bats, crushed a first-pitch home run to straightaway center. Jurickson Profar added a sacrifice fly off Jay Jackson. It’s the third blown save and 11th home run allowed by Hader (1-5). He also gave up Matt Olson’s walkoff home run on Tuesday. Hader has a 5.40 ERA and five homers allowed in 11 appearances since July 1. Swipe through photos of the game below. Milwaukee Brewers v Oakland AthleticsOAKLAND, CALIFORNIA – AUGUST 01: Homer Bailey #15 of the Oakland Athletics pitches during the first inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at Ring Central Coliseum on August 01, 2019 in Oakland, California. (Photo by Daniel Shirey/Getty Images)…
The deadly attack in Gilroy sparked safety concerns for other major events coming up across the Bay Area. The Santa Clara County Fair began Thursday at the fairgrounds and both organizers and police have been making changes to make sure event goers are safe. Gilroy Gunman Was ‘Nicest Person,’ Says Former Boss In addition to guards being at the front of the gate, sheriff’s deputies will also be walking around the fair monitoring the event. “We not only have a lot more deputies who are working today but also have a lot of special teams,” Sheriff Laurie Smith said. “We have our off-road motorcycles, we have our regular motorcycles, K-9s that sniff bombs and ammunition, and our SWAT team is staged also today.” Rattlesnake Encounter Halts Mail Delivery in SJ Neighborhood Everyone attending the fair had their bags checked and security used metal detector wands on everyone entering, which fair goers appreciated. “It made me feel a little bit better walking in the door,” said Kelly Crosby from Cupertino. Police Break Up Protest Near ICE Office in San Francisco