Authorities Searching For 2 Inmates Who Walked Away From Humboldt County Prison Camp

HUMBOLDT COUNTY (CBS13) – Authorities are searching for two inmates who walked away from a prison camp in Humboldt County on Friday. Derek Barnett, 29, of Placer County, and Noah Wilson, 28, of San Bernadino County, were discovered missing during an inmate count at around 9:45 p.m., the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said in a press release. Officials said the two minimum-security inmates of the Eel River Conservation Camp were last seen at around 8:30 p.m. and were wearing grey sweatpants, a grey sweatshirt and white tennis shoes. Barnett is described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 272 pounds with brown eyes, black hair, a mustache and goatee. He was convicted of possession of a firearm and vehicle theft, officials said. Wilson is described as a white male, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing 200 pounds with hazel eyes, brown hair, a mustache and goatee, with a tattoo “Damaged” above his right eye. He was convicted of possession of a controlled substance for sale. Both men were inmates of a camp that housed 120 minimum-custody inmates

Eastvale Amazon worker tests positive for coronavirus

Amazon confirmed Sunday, March 29, that a worker at its Eastvale facility has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. “We are supporting the individual who is recovering,” the company said in an emailed statement. “We are following guidelines from health officials and medical experts, and are taking extreme measures to ensure the safety of employees at our site.” Last week, Amazon confirmed an employee at a fulfillment center in Moreno Valley had tested positive. Among other measures, the company asks co-workers who have had close contact with the individuals to self-quarantine for 14 days, and pays them for their time at home, the statement said. Amazon is also allowing unlimited unpaid time off for hourly employees through the end of April, according to the online retailer. Amazon has also increased cleaning and adjusted practices to ensure social distancing.

Pacific Crest Trail Issues Warning to Hikers

Pacific Crest Trail hikers are being urged to stay off the path after two rescues and one death occurred in the San Jacinto mountains in the last two days. On Friday, a hiker was found dead near Mountain Center by emergency crews following a multi-hour rescue attempt. The next day, two hikers who were stuck on the trail in snow and ice had to be pulled off the mountain by a rescue helicopter crew, according to the Riverside County Fire Department. Both hikers escaped unscathed. The Pacific Crest Association is urging “thru-hikers” those planning to trek the whole 2,650 mile-long trail from the U.S.-Mexican border to the Canadian border, to either cancel or postpone those plans amid the dangerous conditions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. “Extremely dangerous conditions present a serious danger along the PCT on San Jacinto. One PCT hiker died in a fall and multiple other rescues of PCT hikers have occurred in the last 48 hours,” the Pacific Crest Trail Association posted on Facebook. “Remember, we have already asked you to stay off the trail due to the worldwide pandemic that is…

Man, adult son found stabbed to death in suspected murder-suicide at Garden Grove home

A 77-year-old man and his 29-year-old son were found fatally stabbed inside the father’s Garden Grove home Saturday in what police said appears to be a murder–suicide. The bodies of Thinh Vu, 77, and his son Thomas Vu, 29, were found after another family member called police to ask that they check on the elderly resident of the home in the 11800 block of Stuart Drive, according to the Garden Grove Police Department. “The reporting party (adult son) was checking on his father and brother, who he had not heard from in days,” Sgt. M. Martinez said in a written statement. “When the son did not get a response at his father’s residence, he called the police for assistance.” Officers forced their way into the home were they found the two men dead “from what appeared to be stab wounds,” Martinez said. “At this point of the investigation, it appears to be a murder/suicide, however the investigation is ongoing,” the sergeant said. Investigators did not indicate which of the men was the suspect and which was the victim. Anyone with information was urged to contact…

Lancaster prison only state facility where multiple inmates test positive for coronavirus

A state prison in Lancaster remains the only state corrections facility across California where more than one inmate has tested positive for coronavirus. Three state prisoners, including two at California State Prison-Los Angeles County in Lancaster, have tested positive, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. A total of 205 inmates have been tested as of Sunday afternoon. Those numbers only refer to state prisoners and not inmates at county jails and other local facilities. Earlier this month, an inmate at the Lancaster facility became the first state prisoner known to have contracted the rapidly spreading virus. At the time, prison officials described him as being in stable condition, and he was being treated on-site. He had undergone testing on March 20 and received the results two days later, authorities said. State prison officials reported another inmate at the Lancaster prison was infected with the virus on Sunday. The third state prisoner known to be infected is an inmate at the California Institution for Men in Chino, officials said. A total of 17 employees in the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation also tested…

U.S Navy hospital ship Mercy begins boarding patients in Port of Los Angeles

The USNS Mercy hospital ship docked in the Port of Los Angeles began taking on patients Sunday to release pressure on the county’s strained medical system amid the COVID-19 pandemic, officials said. The ship, with its 1,000 hospital beds, is not treating novel coronavirus patients, but rather treating others to free up local hospitals to focus on the virus outbreak, according to U.S. Navy officials. It arrived in L.A. on Friday. “While in Los Angeles, the ship will serve as a referral hospital for non-COVID-19 patients currently admitted to shore-based hospitals, and will provide a full spectrum of medical care to include general surgeries, critical care and ward care for adults,” according to a statement issued by the Navy’s 3rd Fleet. “This will allow local health professionals to focus on treating COVID-19 patients and for shore-based hospitals to use their Intensive Care Units and ventilators for those patients.” Novel coronavirus cases in Los Angeles county topped 2,100 on Sunday, with 37 deaths from the virus reported. “The men and women embarked on board Mercy are energized, eager, and ready to provide relief to those in…

2 boys, 1 man killed in apparent murder-suicide shooting in Lomita

A man shot and killed two boys then himself in an apparent murder-suicide in Lomita Sunday morning, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said. Deputies responded to the 25800 block of Hillworth Avenue after getting a call around 11 a.m. They arrived to find two boys with gunshot wounds and a man in his mid-40s with what appeared to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the department said in a news release. All three were pronounced dead at the scene. “Homicide investigators, although early in the investigation, are looking at this case as a possible murder-suicide,” the Sheriff’s Department said in a statement. The Sheriff’s Department did not provide information on the man’s relationship to the two boys or how old they were, describing them only as “male juveniles.” The shooting remains under investigation and and no further details were immediately available. Anyone with information was asked to call the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Those who prefer to provide information anonymously can call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477. Editor’s note: If you or a loved one is feeling distressed, please remember help is available through…

Long Beach Extends ‘Safer At Home’ Order Until May 1

LONG BEACH (CBSLA) — The City of Long Beach is extending its “Safer at Home” order for residents. Public beaches, trails, trailheads, basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball courts, golf courses, dog parks, playgrounds, skate parks, public park and public beach parking lots, and picnic areas will remain closed until May 1. Closures and limitations to certain businesses will remain in effect until April 19. Private gyms in multifamily housing complexes, such as in condominium and apartment complexes. Funerals are not permitted during this time period. Open park space and park pathways can still be used if people maintain social distancing measures. “We are at a pivotal point in this public health crisis, therefore it is critical that we maintain safe social distances and do everything possible to reduce the risk of infection in our community,” said Mayor Robert Garcia. The city can now issue citations against businesses not following the “Safer At Home” order. For the latest information on coronavirus updates in Long Beach, visit this website. You can also find more information about Los Angeles County cases here.

FDA Authorizes 15-Minute Coronavirus Test

(CNN) — Federal health officials on Friday approved a coronavirus test that can provide results in less than 15 minutes, using the same technology that powers some rapid flu tests. Teased by Vice President Mike Pence in a Thursday press briefing, the new diagnostic test could accelerate testing in the United States, allowing for rapid results in doctors’ offices. But shortages of critical equipment used to collect patient specimens, like masks and swabs, could blunt its impact. The US Food and Drug Administration authorized the test for emergency use, signaling that federal regulators were satisfied with the test’s validation data and believe its benefits outweigh any risks, such as false positives or negatives. The test’s maker, Abbott Laboratories, said it expects to deliver 50,000 tests per day beginning next week. The technology behind the test looks for genes that are present in the virus, similar to PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests already on the market. The platform used to run the test weighs less than 7 pounds, according to Abbott, and could be deployed “where testing is needed most.” Last week, the FDA authorized another…

Serial Killer Dubbed Grim Sleeper Dies In California Prison

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. (AP) — Lonnie Franklin, the convicted serial killer known as the “Grim Sleeper” who preyed on the women of South Los Angeles for more than two decades, has died in prison. He was 67. California corrections officials said Franklin was found unresponsive in his cell at San Quentin State Prison on Saturday evening. An autopsy will determine the cause of death; however, there were no signs of trauma, corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said in a statement. The stepmother of a victim named Barbara Ware told People magazine she was shocked by the news. “I won’t say I’m pleased he died but at the end there was justice for all the bad things he did in his life,” Diana Ware said. “We can now be at peace.” Franklin had been on death row since August 2016 for the deaths of nine women and a teenage girl. Franklin was linked at trial to 14 slayings, including four women he wasn’t charged with killing. Police have said he may have had as many as 25 victims. Most of the victims were fatally shot at close…

Person In Critical Condition After Being Shot In Roseville

ROSEVILLE (CBS13) – The Roseville Police Department said a person is hospitalized in critical condition after being shot during an altercation with another person on Saturday night. Police said the shooting happened at about 10:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of Rudgwick Drive. The department said in a Facebook post that all parties involved in the shooting have been accounted for but did not release any further details regarding the shooter or victim. Roseville police said there is no current threat to the community.

California Prepares For Coronavirus Surge In Week Ahead

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Californians endured a weekend of stepped-up restrictions aimed at keeping them home as much as possible while hospitals and health officials scrambled Sunday to ready themselves for a week that could see the feared dramatic surge in coronavirus cases. Testing among the state’s 40 million residents has stepped up significantly after a slow start and officials have warned the increase will bring with it a rapidly expanding number of cases. A tally by Johns Hopkins University found more than 5,700 cases statewide and at least 122 deaths. In Southern California, people were kept off beaches and hiking trails that normally would have been swamped with visitors during this sunny weekend. A stay-at-home order restricts people to all but essential outside activities such as buying food and including only outdoor exercise such as walking or running near home that doesn’t put them within 6 feet (1.8 meters) of another person. “We need all Angelenos to respect these orders, so we can slow the spread of COVID-19,” Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a tweet. “Do your part. Your city is counting…

USNS Mercy begins boarding patients in Port of Los Angeles

The USNS Mercy hospital ship docked in the Port of Los Angeles began taking on patients to release pressure on Los Angeles County’s strained medical system amid the COVID-19 pandemic, officials said. The ship, with its 1,000 hospital beds, is not treating novel coronavirus patients, but rather treating others to free up local hospitals to focus on the virus outbreak, according to U.S. Navy officials. It arrived in L.A. on Friday. “While in Los Angeles, the ship will serve as a referral hospital for non-COVID-19 patients currently admitted to shore-based hospitals, and will provide a full spectrum of medical care to include general surgeries, critical care and ward care for adults,” according to a statement issued by the Navy’s 3rd Fleet. “This will allow local health professionals to focus on treating COVID-19 patients and for shore-based hospitals to use their Intensive Care Units and ventilators for those patients.” Novel coronavirus cases in Los Angeles county topped 2,100 on Sunday, with 37 deaths from the virus reported. “The men and women embarked on board Mercy are energized, eager, and ready to provide relief to those in…

L.A. County coronavirus cases top 2,100 with 5 new deaths reported

Coronavirus cases in Los Angeles County topped 2,100 Sunday with another five COVID-19 deaths reported. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 332 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total up to 2,136 from 1,804 the day before as the county stepped up its testing for the virus. At least 37 people have died of the respiratory illness countywide as of Sunday. While officials provided no details on the five people who recently died, the department said that five deaths reported Saturday had been in people over the age of 60, and one person between 50 to 60 years old. “Two of these individuals, including the person between 50-60 years old, did not have any reported underlying health conditions,” the health department said in a news release. There have been 676 new cases confirmed in the last 48 hours alone, authorities said. As of Sunday, 453 coronavirus patients have been hospitalized– that’s 21% of all of the county’s confirmed cases. “Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families and friends of individuals who have died. I ask that everyone please do your…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!