U.K. Police Charge Truck Driver With Manslaughter After 39 Dead Bodies Found

The Latest on the deaths of 39 people in a truck in England (all times local): 5:25 p.m. UK police have charged a truck driver with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people in connection with 39 deaths in the back of the truck he was driving in southeastern England. Police say Maurice Robinson, 25, of Craigavon, Northern Ireland is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates Court on Monday. He was the first of those arrested to be charged in what is seen as one of the U.K.’s biggest cases of people smuggling. Four others have been arrested in the case. U.K. police are struggling to identify the victims, who are believed to have come from Asia, and autopsies are being performed. The Vietnamese Embassy in London has set up a hotline for families to call about missing family members. ___ 4:05 p.m. Police in Ireland say they’ve arrested a man in his early 20s who was being sought by authorities in connection with the deaths of 39 people found in a truck in southeastern England. Irish police say Saturday the man from…

NorCal Braces for Powerful Winds That Could Bring Dangerous Fire Weather

In 1991, flames swept into the Oakland and Berkeley hills, killing more than two dozen people and destroying more than 2,000 homes. In 2017, the Tubbs fire devastated wine country, killing 22 people and eventually destroying more than 5,000 homes. Last year, it was the Camp fire — the most destructive in California history that left more than 80 dead and more than 13,900 homes destroyed, along with much of the town of Paradise. Powerful downslope winds heading from the northeast to the southwest fanned all three fire storms. Forecasters now say these winds that will hit Northern California this weekend could bring one of the most potentially dangerous periods of fire weather experienced by the region in a generation. Read the full story on LATimes.com. 

Russian Defense Official Calls U.S. Decision to Send Troops to Protect Syrian Oil ‘Banditry’

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Saturday harshly criticized the United States decision to send armored vehicles and combat troops into eastern Syria to protect oil fields. U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper says the move is aimed at keeping the fields from potentially falling into the hands of Islamic State militants. On Saturday, a U.S. convoy of over a dozen vehicles was seen driving south of the northeastern city of Qamishli, likely heading to the oil-rich Deir el-Zour area or another base before it. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also reported the convoy, saying it arrived earlier from Iraq. Russian ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said “what Washington is doing now, the seizure and control of oil fields in eastern Syria under its armed control, is, quite simply, international state banditry.” He added in a statement that “all hydrocarbon deposits and other minerals located on the territory of Syria do not belong to the IS terrorists, and even less to the ‘American defenders from IS terrorists,’ but exclusively to the Syrian Arab Republic.” “The real cause of this illegal action by the United States in…

Missing Ala. Girl Found in Dumpster Died From Suffocation

Kamille “Cupcake” McKinney, a 3-year-old girl whose body was found in a dumpster more than a week after she vanished from a birthday party in Alabama, died from suffocation, according to documents read during a court appearance for the man and woman charged in her murder. The man, Patrick Stallworth, and the woman, Derick Brown, appeared before a judge on Friday at Jefferson County Criminal Court less than 24 hours after the district attorney announced that they each had been charged with capital murder in Kamille’s death, NBC News reported. Stallworth told the judge, “I don’t understand how I’m being charged with the murder of this child.” According to court documents, Kamille died of asphyxiation on Oct. 12, the same day she went missing from an outdoor birthday party at a home in Birmingham. Police said the girl, known as “Cupcake,” was at the home with her mother and other relatives.  Her remains were discovered Tuesday in a dumpster at a landfill, ending an intense 10-day search for her. Photo Credit: FBI via AP

FBI Joins Search for 14-Year-Old Va. Girl Believed Abducted

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has joined in the search for a 14-year-old girl believed to have been abducted from her home in Virginia.  An Amber Alert was issued for Isabel Shae Hicks, who vanished at about 1 a.m. Monday from her residence in Bumpass, around 42 miles northwest of Richmond. The Louisa County Sheriff’s Office said in a Facebook post on Friday that they believe she may have been abducted by 33-year-old Bruce William Lynch, also of Bumpass. A felony abduction warrant has been issued for Lynch and the pair may have left Virginia, the department said. Detective Chuck Love told NBC News that Isabel was last seen by her sister in their shared bedroom. When the sister woke up later in the morning and noticed Isabel was gone, she told her parents who then contacted the police. Photo Credit: Louisa County Sheriff’s Office

Weekend Blackouts: PG&E to Roll Out More Outages in Bay Area

PG&E will begin rolling out another round of outages Saturday expected to impact 940,000 customers. This latest round of blackouts are due to an extreme wind event forecasted to hit Northern California, according to the utility. “This will be the strongest event of the year,” Scott Strenfel, PG&E principal meteorologist said. The shutoffs could last through Monday, according to the utility. Customers in portions of 36 counties could lose power at some point. All Bay Area counties except San Francisco are expected to have some outages over the next three days and nearly 400,000 customers in the Bay Area could lose power, PG&E said. The outages will be rolled out in the following counties in phases beginning Saturday afternoon: First Phase – 2 p.m.: Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, San Joquin, Sierra, Sikiyou, Shasta, Tehama and Yuba. Second Phase – 4 p.m.: Lake, Marin, Mendocino (south), Napa, Solano, Sonoma and Yolo Third Phase – 5 p.m.: Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, San Benito, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and Stanislaus. Fourth Phase 5 p.m.: Alpine, Calaveras, Mariposa and Tuolumne Fifth Phase 5…

MAP: Impact of Weekend PG&E Power Shutoffs

Dangerous fire weather expected this weekend has triggered another round of PG&E power shutoffs in the Bay Area and across other portions of Northern California. The outages are expect to impact 940,000 customers across 36 counties and will be rolled out in phases beginning Saturday afternoon. Full timeline and list of locations here. Click here to learn more about PG&E’s public safety power shutoffs Click here to learn about what you can do to prepare for a shutoff Enter your address to find out if your area is impacted by the shutoffs Photo Credit: PG&E This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

UPDATE: Blackout Could Hit Humboldt Hours Earlier Than Expected, Sheriff Warns to Prepare to Lose Power at Any Time

UPDATE: In the company’s latest press release, PG&E is notifying the public that power will be shutoff to more than 900,000 customers across 36 California counties in phases this afternoon. And the list of scheduled phases indicates power may be cut in Humboldt County earlier than the company is reporting. PG&E has repeatedly told county officials and residents that the shutoff will begin locally at 5 p.m., and that’s represented in the phases in the company’s recent press release. However, the release also states that Shasta County will see its power cut at 2 p.m. Because the two lines transmitting electricity into Humboldt County originate in Shasta County — which PG&E and local officials have identified as the reason the entirety of Humboldt County will lose power in this blackout even though only certain portions are forecast to be at elevated fire risks — it seems Humboldt County may lose power at the same time Shasta County does, which would be three hours earlier than anticipated. The Journal has reached out to local and PG&E officials about this but most have not responded. Sheriff William…

San Bernardino Officer Removed From Force After Fatal Shooting

A Southern California police officer is off the force after shooting to death a man who had put down a gun but refused orders to stop walking toward police. Interim San Bernardino Police Chief Eric McBride on Friday released details and body-worn camera footage of the Sept. 2018 shooting of Richard Sanchez. McBride said an investigation found Officer Brandon Gaddie’s decision-making did not meet standards. The San Bernardino Sun reports McBride did not say whether Gaddie was fired or resigned. Video shows Sanchez setting his gun down and putting his hands up as he walked toward officers. As he did so, at least one of the two officers shouted at him to stop. McBride said Sanchez didn’t stop, and Gaddie shot him. The shooting is under review by prosecutors to determine if a crime was committed.

Impeachment Inquiry: Ex-Trump Aide Asks Judge to Decide If He Should Comply With Subpoena

An ex-White House adviser who’s supposed to testify before House impeachment investigators on Monday has asked a federal court whether he should comply with a subpoena or follow President Donald Trump’s directive against cooperating in what he dubs a “scam.” After getting a subpoena Friday, former deputy national security adviser Charles Kupperman quickly filed a lawsuit in U.S. district court in Washington. He asked a judge to decide whether he should accede to House demands for his testimony or to assert “immunity from congressional process” as directed by Trump. Kupperman, who provided foreign policy advice to the president, has been called to testify because the impeachment inquiry is rooted in a July 25 phone call Trump made to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy. During the call, Trump asked the Ukrainian leader to pursue investigations of Democratic political rival Joe Biden’s family and Ukraine’s role in the 2016 election that propelled Trump into the White House. At the time of the call, Trump was withholding congressionally approved military aid for Ukraine. He has repeatedly said there was no quid pro quo for the Ukraine investigations he was seeking, though witness…

Winds Bring Critical Fire Weather Conditions Near Tick Fire; Smoke Advisory Extended

A smoke advisory issued by the South Coast Air Quality Management District after the Tick Fire broke out was extended into Saturday afternoon in the Santa Clarita Valley. An onshore wind shift was expected to occur near the Tick Fire around noon on Saturday, according to the National Weather Service. Onshore wind gusts ranging from 20 to 30 mph were expected into the afternoon, resulting in elevated to brief critical fire weather conditions, the weather service said.  Warm and dry conditions will continue, with minimum humidity around 8% near the fire, the weather service said. Westerly wind shifts pose a challenge for firefighters, as they may change the potential for rekindle scenarios, according to a multiagency update issued Saturday. Air quality may cause unhealthy conditions for sensitive groups. Santa Ana winds are expected for Los Angeles and Ventura counties from Sunday through Monday, and Wednesday through Thursday, the weather service said. The winds pose potential critical fire weather conditions and can cause rapid fire growth with new or existing fires. Additional #SantaAnaWind events on the way for LA/Ventura counties late Sun-Mon and Wed-Thu. Still some…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!