He’s out! After failed lawsuit, scorned MLB umpire calls it quits

NEW YORK — Longtime umpire Ángel Hernández, who unsuccessfully sued Major League Baseball for racial discrimination, is retiring immediately. During a career that lasted more than three decades, the 62-year-old Hernández was often scorned by players, managers and fans for missed calls and quick ejections — some in high-profile situations. Hernández issued a statement through MLB on Monday night saying he has decided he wants to spend more time with his family. “Starting with my first major league game in 1991, I have had the very good experience of living out my childhood dream of umpiring in the major leagues. There is nothing better than working at a profession that you enjoy. I treasured the camaraderie of my colleagues and the friendships I have made along the way, including our locker room attendants in all the various cities,” Hernández said. “Needless to say, there have been many positive changes in the game of baseball since I first entered the profession. This includes the expansion and promotion of minorities. I am proud that I was able to be an active participant in that goal while being

Shelter-in-place lifted for Concord neighborhood

CONCORD — Police Monday night lifted a shelter-in-place order that was issued earlier in the evening for a residential neighborhood in southern Concord due to unspecified law enforcement activity. The shelter-in-place order was lifted at around 8:45 p.m. with an announcement on X that a suspect was in custody. The area where residents have been asked to stay inside were the some dozen blocks south of Cowell Road between Saint Francis Drive and Ridge Park Drive, Concord police said in a post on X. There was a heavy police presence on Saint Francis Drive. Police have not released information about the nature of the law enforcement activity or what prompted the shelter-in-place. Residents were asked to report anything suspicious by calling 911 or 925-671-3333. Otherwise, they had been asked to close and lock all windows and doors, stay off the phone and not call 911 unless it was a life-threatening emergency. Check back for updates.

San Jose police respond to possible shooting, barricaded suspect

SAN JOSE — Multiple police were units responded Monday evening to a report of a possible shooting and a barricaded suspect inside a home on North 20th Street, northeast of downtown. As of 7:50 p.m., police special operations personnel had arrived at the home in the 300 block of North 20th Street and were attempting to negotiate a peaceful surrender by the suspect, according to an X post from San Jose police media relations. Police also described as the area as “very active” and asked the public to stay away as much as possible. The incident began just after 6 p.m. with a call that described a possible shooting. However, no other details were available about the incident, including whether anyone was injured. Check back for updates. 

Reckless DUI suspect taken into custody after pursuit in Southern California

The driver of a pickup truck who was suspected of driving recklessly while under the influence and led authorities in a high-speed chase has been taken into custody.   Deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department initiated the pursuit in the area Long Beach while the suspect was on surface streets.   Reckless DUI suspect in SoCal arrested after pursuit on May 27, 2024. (KTLA) The driver reportedly tossed something out of the window during the chase, which was later said to be narcotics, though that has not yet been confirmed.   Initially, the suspect remained in the cab of the truck and appeared to be on a cellphone as he refused orders to exit the vehicle. Eventually, the suspect got out of the pickup truck, followed commands to walk backward toward authorities and was taken into custody. Sky5 was overhead.

Carjacking suspect taken into custody after pursuit in Southern California

A driver suspected of carjacking a Toyota pickup truck Monday evening, who then led authorities in a pursuit has been taken into custody.   Officers with the Los Angeles Police Department’s Wilshire Division initiated the pursuit and chased the suspect into eastbound lanes of 10 Freeway through Crenshaw and then to the 110 and 405 Freeways, where officers from the California Highway Patrol took over.   The suspect remained on the 405 at moderate speeds of around 60 miles per hour when authorities successfully deployed a spike strip, taking out the passenger-side tires near Springdale Street.   Authorities in pursuit of a carjacking suspect on May 27, 2024. (KTLA) CHP trailing a carjacking suspect on the 405 Freeway as LAPD tracks the driver from the air on May 27, 2024. (KTLA) CHP officers approach a carjacking suspect after a pursuit on the 405 Freeway on May 27, 2024. (KTLA) CHP officers approach a carjacking suspect after a pursuit on the 405 Freeway on May 27, 2024. (KTLA) CHP officers approach a carjacking suspect after a pursuit on the 405 Freeway on May 27, 2024. (KTLA)

5/27: CBS Evening News

5/27: CBS Evening News – CBS News Watch CBS News Storms kill more than 20 across 4 states; Teen on mission to make dog tag for every fallen U.S. service member Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

CHP in pursuit of driver wanted for carjacking in Southern California

Officers with the California Highway Patrol are in pursuit of a driver suspected of carjacking a vehicle Monday. The suspect, who is reportedly driving a black Toyota Tundra, was leading authorities in chase in eastbound lanes of the 10 Freeway through Crenshaw shortly after the chase was initiated. The driver then transitioned to southbound lanes of the 110 Freeway. It is unclear how many people may be in the vehicle. Authorities successfully deployed a spike strip while the driver was on the southbound 405 Freeway around Springdale Street. Sky5 is overhead.

‘He was a giant in San Diego:’ Reactions pour in for Bill Walton’s death

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — Many people took to social media after hearing about the death of two-time NBA champion and San Diego native Bill Walton. Walton, who played for the Portland Trail Blazers, the then-San Diego Clippers and Boston Celtics, died on Monday following a “prolonged battle with cancer,” the professional basketball league announced. Here are some reactions from national and local figures paying tribute to the gentle giant: Former President Barack Obama “Bill Walton was one of the greatest basketball players of all time – a champion at every level and the embodiment of unselfish team play. He was also a wonderful spirit full of curiosity, humor and kindness. We are poorer for his passing, and Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family.” NBA Hall of Famer Julius Erving “I am sad today hearing that my comrade & one of the sports worlds most beloved champions & characters has passed. Bill Walton enjoyed life in every way. To compete against him & to work with him was a blessing in my life. Sorry for your loss Walton family. We’ll miss

Brush fire breaks out near border

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — A brush fire broke out Monday near the U.S.-Mexico border, authorities said. The blaze occurred off Cameron Truck Trail in Lake Morena, Cal Fire San Diego posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, at 1:56 p.m. Carnival cruise ship responds to distress call, rescues 25 people stranded off Pacific Coast Around 2:54 p.m., firefighters were able to stop the forward rate of spread. The fire burned 5.28 acres, destroying five outbuildings, according to Cal Fire San Diego. No injuries have been reported. Check back for updates on this developing story.

Pro-Palestinian protesters shut down 101 Freeway in downtown L.A.

Dozens of pro-Palestinian protesters briefly shutdown the 101 Freeway in downtown Los Angeles on Monday afternoon. The protesters blocked traffic as they held Palestinian flags and signs reading “Stop the Genocide” and “End the Occupation Now!” and chanted “Eyes on Rafah!” according to video posted to social media, including by journalist Ben Camacho. The protest came a day after what appeared to be one of the deadliest attacks in Israel’s ongoing war with Hamas. On Sunday, an Israeli strike on a tent camp housing displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah killed dozens. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday described the strike as a “tragic mistake” that was under investigation. Tens of thousands of people — many civilians — have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its war on Hamas after an assault by Hamas fighters in Israel in October. Large portions of Gaza have been destroyed and cut off from aid, spurring months of protests around the world and across the U.S., including on many college campuses. The United Nations’ top court ordered Israel to halt its assault on Rafah

`Aggressive’ Shark Behavior Forces Restriction of Ocean Access At San Clemente

A shark knocked a surfer off of his board off the coast of San Clemente Monday, prompting authorities to close the water to swimmers and others on the busy Memorial Day holiday. According to city officials, the ocean water was closed off late Monday morning “due to confirmed aggressive shark behavior” in the water in the vicinity of T-Street Beach. The beaches remained open, but water access was closed until at least 8 p.m. Monday, “pending no additional shark sightings,” according to the city. City Councilman Chris Duncan told CBS2 that surfers reported the activity to lifeguards, who reviewed surveillance footage and found video of the surfer being knocked off his board. According to CBS2, officials from the Long Beach State University shark lab were consulted, and they determined the culprit was likely a juvenile great white shark. No injuries were reported.

LACo Fire Crews Make Quick Work of Palmdale-Area Brush Fire

Los Angeles County fire crews made quick work Monday of a brush fire that spread across more than 20 acres of terrain in the Palmdale area, but there were no reports of any injuries or structure damage. The fire broke out mid-afternoon Monday in the 4200 block of East Avenue V-5, initially reported at about 10 acres moving at a moderate rate of speed. Fire crews reported at 4:15 p.m. that the blaze had been fully contained at 22 acres, with the help of crews on the ground and dropping water from the air. No structures were damaged and no civilians or firefighters were injured. The cause of the fire remained under investigation.

Trump responds to special counsel’s effort to limit his remarks about FBI

May 27, 2024 / 10:09 PM EDT / CBS/AP Trump “hush money” trial coming to close Trump “hush money” trial coming to close as campaigns kick into gear 02:21 Attorneys for former President Donald Trump on Monday evening pushed back against special counsel Jack Smith’s request Friday that a federal judge in Florida modify Trump’s conditions of release in the probe into Trump’s handling of classified documents . Federal prosecutors have asked U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon, who is overseeing the documents case, to modify the condition of Trump’s release in order to bar him from making public statements that “pose a significant, imminent, and foreseeable danger to law enforcement agents” who are participating in the prosecution. “Trump’s repeated mischaracterization of these facts in widely distributed messages as an attempt to kill him, his family, and Secret Service agents has endangered law enforcement officers involved in the investigation and prosecution of this case and threatened the integrity of these proceedings,” prosecutors told Cannon, who was nominated to the bench by Trump. “A restriction prohibiting future similar statements does not restrict legitimate speech,” they said. The

Photos: Memorial Day celebrated around the Bay Area as veterans are honored

Before Memorial Day grilling began, Bay Area residents took pause to honor service members who died while serving in the military. At The Grove in Clayton, today’s ceremony was attended by over 150 citizens and military members. Colonel Michael Hudson, United States Marine Corps (Ret.) presented a wreath to Blue Star Mom Mary Tollefson, of Clayton. Tollefson’s son U.S. Army Pvt. Benjamin Tollefson, of Concord, was killed in action in Iraq on December 31, 2008. Hudson also read the names of 56 soldiers who lived in Contra Costa County and died while serving in Vietnam and post 9/11 wars. Pearl Harbor Survivor Earl “Chuck” Kohler, 100, was in attendance, and Congressman Mark DeSaulnier spoke to the crowd. Cadet Audrina Carter, with the Civil Air Patrol U.S. Air Force Auxiliary of Concord, placed dog tags with the names of soldiers who have died during military service before placing them on the Fallen Soldier Battlefield Cross. Across the bay in Hillsborough, a parade set off from Town Hall, followed by a music festival at the North School Field, and concluded with an observance ceremony. The first national

What Blake Snell said after latest rough start for SF Giants: “Big league spring training, you need it”

SAN FRANCISCO – Blake Snell, still searching for his first victory as a San Francisco Giant, stood in front of his locker after Monday’s 8-4 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies and assessed his 0-3 start to the season. Snell remained winless after he gave up four runs – three earned – in just four innings. The reigning National League Cy Young winner has yet to take a start past the fifth inning.  “Yeah, I feel strong, and I felt better, but I should be getting better results to help the team have easier wins,” Snell said.  The 31-year-old lefthander did not sign a two-year, $62 million contract with the Giants until March 19, eight days before the end of spring training.  “The one thing I would say is that big league spring training, you need it,” Snell said. “I thought I did everything I could to be ready, and even after two weeks, I noticed how much better I was throwing the ball just being here every day.” “You have to go to spring training, and I hope (other) teams see that,” Snell continued. “I

Residents displaced by water leak at Oakley senior complex may return Wednesday

OAKLEY — Managers of a four-story affordable housing complex said Monday they hope to soon re-open the building to dozens of residents displaced after a water leak on Sunday. The Oak Grove Senior Terrace Apartments have been red-tagged by the city, after a clogged wastewater line could have leaked into the electrical panel for the building’s elevator, said Ed Cafasso, a spokesperson for the property. Residents of the 44 units on Carol Lane are currently staying at three area hotels at no cost to them, he said. The leak prompted Contra Costa County Fire Protection District officials to order power be shut off Sunday. Oakley Vice Mayor Shannon Shaw said the city can’t confirm the timeline for when the building will reopen and residents can return. But she said the city is doing “everything within our power” to help get the building reopened as soon as possible, and won’t let anyone move back in until inspectors sign off on the complex being safe. The leak was caused by a clog in the wastewater line on the first floor, forcing water to back up and to overflow

Emeryville police arrest woman for alleged stabbing at a Chick-fil-A

EMERYVILLE — Police have arrested a woman who allegedly stabbed a man in his neck as he dined outdoors at a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Emeryville in what was described as an unprovoked attack. The 35-year-old Oakland resident was taken into custody on Monday at 7:45 a.m., police said. She was booked into Alameda County Santa Rita Jail on suspicion of an assault with a deadly weapon other than a firearm, according to police. The stabbing occurred on May 20 at the Chick-fil-A restaurant at 1525 40th St., and officers from Emeryville and Oakland both responded. Investigators reviewed a surveillance video, which showed that the woman cut the victim’s neck with an unknown object. The stabbing caused only a minor injury. The unidentified victim refused treatment at the restaurant.

U.S. sailors take a Memorial Day turn on L.A.’s 6th Street Bridge

Street racers, social media influencers and lovebirds helped make the 6th Street Bridge a citywide gathering spot after the remade viaduct first opened two years ago. On Memorial Day, hundreds of sailors decked out in their bright white uniforms and caps took their turn on the bridge. L.A.’s newest landmark — which connects the city’s Arts District and Boyle Heights — hosted a public Fleet Week event for some 500 sailors from the USS Carl Vinson, a nuclear-powered ship docked in San Diego. There were performances by a 1st Division Marine Corps band, as well as speeches, including one by local City Councilman Kevin de León and a moment of silence for members killed in service. The sailors marched for a length of the bridge before standing quietly. Although the crowds were thin, later in the afternoon, the sailors — many of who are in late teens or early 20s — had the run of the closed-off bridge and food trucks that served pizza and street tacos. A couple of sailors took turns riding a motor bike back and forth across the bridge in the

Police searching for woman who tore eyeglasses off L.A. Metro bus driver

In yet another attack on a Los Angeles Metro bus operator, police are searching for a woman who ripped the eyeglasses off a driver’s face on Monday.   According to the Los Angeles Police Department, a woman got on the transit bus just before 10 a.m. when it was stopped in the area of Temple and Springs streets in downtown.   “A female suspect aggressively entered the bus and began arguing with the bus operator,” an LAPD news release stated. “During the altercation, the suspect forcefully removed the bus operator’s prescription eyeglasses and exited the bus.”   When the bus driver followed the woman out to get her glasses back, a second altercation occurred, though authorities did not provide any additional details.   The bus driver was able to recover her glasses, but police said they were broken, and that the operator sustained a minor injury to her face during the encounter.   Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating the suspect photographed here on May 27, 2024. (LAPD) The suspect fled the scene. She was described by police as a

NBA legend Bill Walton dies at age 71

NBA legend Bill Walton dies at age 71 – CBS News Watch CBS News Bill Walton, the college basketball superstar who went on to win two NBA titles and followed that up with a successful broadcasting career, has died at age 71 following a battle with cancer. Elise Preston takes a look back at the sports icon, activist and noted deadhead’s legacy. Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On