Authorities in the Dominican Republic search for missing American university student

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Authorities in the Dominican Republic are searching for a 20-year-old university student from the U.S. who went missing in the popular tourist town of Punta Cana while on vacation. Sudiksha Konanki was last seen before dawn on March 6 at a beach near the resort where she was staying with several friends, according to Civil Defense officials, who said the search for her continued on Sunday, Konanki is a student at the University of Pittsburgh.

Supreme Court will take up state bans on conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ children

The Supreme Court has agreed to decide whether state and local governments can enforce laws banning conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ children, in a Colorado case. (Scripps News Group) The Supreme Court agreed Monday in a case from Colorado to decide whether state and local governments can enforce laws banning conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ children. The conservative-led court is taking up the case amid actions by President Donald Trump targeting transgender people, including a ban on military service and an end to federal funding for gender-affirming care for transgender minors. The justices also have heard arguments in a Tennessee case over whether state bans on treating transgender minors violate the Constitution. But they have yet to issue a decision. RELATED STORY | Judge blocks Trump order threatening funding for institutions that offer care for transgender youth Colorado is among roughly half the states that prohibit the practice of trying to change a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity through counseling. The issue is whether the law violates the speech rights of counselors. Defenders of such laws argue that they regulate the conduct of professionals who are

Los Angeles County District Attorney Hochman to provide update on Menendez brothers case

ABC 10News Recent mugshots of Erik (left) and Lyle (right) Menendez. LOS ANGELES (CNS) – District Attorney Nathan Hochman, who said last month that his office will oppose the request of Erik and Lyle Menendez for a new trial, announced that he will provide an update Monday at a news conference on the brothers’ case. In February, Hochman said he questioned the admissibility and relevance of “new evidence” defense attorneys produced in support of their claim the siblings were sexually abused by their father, but he has yet to take a stance on their motion for re-sentencing. Defense attorneys are asking to have their sentence reduced in a way that would either make them eligible for parole consideration or for release on time already served. Erik Menendez, 54, and Lyle Menendez, 57, are pursuing a variety of paths in hopes of being released from prison following the shotgun killings of their parents, Jose and Mary Louise “Kitty” Menendez, in Beverly Hills on Aug. 20, 1989. They are serving life-without-parole prison sentences but petitioned the governor’s office for a pardon or commutation of their sentences. Relatives

Stock market falls sharply as investors fret Trump policies

Markets react to Trump comments on economy Stocks take another tumble after Trump’s weekend comments on inflation 04:16 U.S. stocks fell sharply on Monday — continuing the prior week’s losses — after President Trump said the economy faces a “period of transition” due to his aggressive trade policies and would not rule out a recession this year.  The president’s trade war with China heated up on Monday as Beijing began implementing retaliatory tariffs on a range of American farm products for which China is the largest market. That includes a 15% levy on U.S. chicken, wheat and corn, and a 10% tax on soybeans, pork, beef and fruit.  Nasdaq nears “correction” The S&P 500 slipped 2%, on track for its worst day so far this year, leaving it down more than 8% from a record high set in February and nearly a “correction,” a term for a drop of 10% or more. The index shed 3.1% last week, its worst weekly performance since September.  The tech-heavy Nasdaq was hit even harder, with the index entering into a correction last week and down more than 3%

Mar 10: CBS News 24/7, 10am ET

Mar 10: CBS News 24/7, 10am ET – CBS News Watch CBS News U.S. tanker collides with container ship off the coast of U.K.; Vatican says Pope Francis experienced “good response” to recent hospital treatments. Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

Ontario is tacking on a 25% surcharge to electricity sent to the U.S.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford extended interview Ontario’s Premier Doug Ford moving ahead with tariffs on the U.S. 22:26 Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, is adding a 25% surcharge to all electricity exports sent to the U.S. as part of retaliation against the Trump administration’s tariffs on Canadian products. The 25% surcharge will be effective as of March 10, and will affect consumers and businesses in Michigan, Minnesota and New York, the province said in a Monday statement. The new fee will add $400,000 in daily costs for U.S. homes and businesses, it added. “President Trump’s tariffs are a disaster for the U.S. economy. They’re making life more expensive for American families and businesses,” Premier Doug Ford said in the statement. “Until the threat of tariffs is gone for good, Ontario won’t back down. We’ll stand strong, use every tool in our toolkit and do whatever it takes to protect Ontario.” Mr. Trump’s 25% tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico went into effect last week, although on Thursday he said he would delay the levies by one month, until April 2. —This is breaking news

Trump defends Elon Musk, DOGE cuts to federal workforce

Trump defends Elon Musk, DOGE cuts to federal workforce – CBS News Watch CBS News President Trump defended Elon Musk and DOGE over the weekend after reported rifts between Musk and Cabinet members. CBS News White House reporter Olivia Rinaldi has more. Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

Firefighters Tackle Blazes in Downtown Los Angeles

Firefighters battled heavy flames in a commercial building fire downtown that spread to a nearby building and took one hour and 37 minutes to put out. The fire was first reported at 1:43 a.m. in a two-story building at 1338 S. Flower St., between Venice and Pico boulevards, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department’s Margaret Stewart. Video showed flames burning through the roof of the graffiti-covered building. At 2:15 a.m., Stewart reported that the fire had spread to nearby commercial units in a separate building and that additional resources were requested. Firefighters put out the flames in the original building first, and after pouring water on the fire from outside the second building, that blaze was snuffed by 3:20 a.m., she said. No injuries were reported. Firefighters remained at the scene putting out hot spots, and drivers were advised to avoid the area, Stewart said. Arson investigators were called to the scene to determine the cause of the fire, she said. The location was the scene of another fire in November.

Four Deputies Injured in Attack at Men’s Central Jail Downtown

Deputies who were allegedly attacked by several inmates at the Men’s Central Jail downtown are recovering from injuries Monday and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the assault. Authorities say several inmates attacked a deputy while moving through the Men’s Central Jail downtown Sunday. The alleged assault occurred about 12:15 p.m. at the jail in the 400 block of Bauchet Street, according to Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department officials. The deputies stopped the attack and the involved inmates were detained. A deputy suffered a puncture-type injury and was taken along with three others to a hospital, where they were treated and released, officials said. The inmates involved in the assault were also medically evaluated and remained in custody. A “jail-made weapon” was recovered at the scene, officials said. The assault was under investigation by the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau because the deputies were injured and there was a use of force, officials said.

Ontario slaps 25% increase on electricity exports to U.S. in response to Trump’s trade war

By ROB GILLIES TORONTO (AP) — Ontario’s premier, the leader of Canada’s most populous province, announced that effective Monday his province is charging 25% more for electricity to 1.5 million Americans in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade war. Ontario provides electricity to Minnesota, New York and Michigan. “President Trump’s tariffs are a disaster for the U.S. economy. They’re making life more expensive for American families and businesses,” Ontario Premier Doug Ford said in a statement. “Until the threat of tariffs is gone for good, Ontario won’t back down. We’ll stand strong, use every tool in our toolkit and do whatever it takes to protect Ontario.” Ford has said Ontario’s tariff would remain in place despite the one-month reprieve from Trump, noting a one month pause means nothing but more uncertainty. Ford’s office said the new market rules require any generator selling electricity to the U.S. to add a 25% surcharge to the U.S. Ontario’s government expects it to generate revenue of $300,000 Canadian (US$208,000) to $400,000 Canadian (US$277,000) per day, “which will be used to support Ontario workers, families and businesses.” Related Articles

Immigration agents arrest Palestinian activist who helped lead Columbia University protests

By JAKE OFFENHARTZ NEW YORK (AP) — Federal immigration authorities arrested a Palestinian activist Saturday who played a prominent role in Columbia University’s protests against Israel, a significant escalation in the Trump administration’s pledge to detain and deport student activists. Mahmoud Khalil, a graduate student at Columbia until this past December, was inside his university-owned apartment Saturday night when several Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents entered and took him into custody, his attorney, Amy Greer, told The Associated Press. Greer said she spoke by phone with one of the ICE agents during the arrest, who said they were acting on State Department orders to revoke Khalil’s student visa. Informed by the attorney that Khalil was in the United States as a permanent resident with a green card, the agent said they were revoking that instead, according to the lawyer. A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security, Tricia McLaughlin, confirmed Khalil’s arrest in a statement Sunday, describing it as being “in support of President Trump’s executive orders prohibiting anti-Semitism.” Khalil’s arrest is the first publicly known deportation effort under Trump’s promised crackdown on students who

Tupac Shakur’s unreleased recordings and lyrics for sale

You could own a piece of hip-hop history for $250,000. Unreleased recordings and lyrics from Tupac Shakur are up for sale on the website Moments in Time. “In late 1990/early 1991 Tuapc composed and recorded an unreleased album for a group called Jesse and the Kidz,” the website explained. “It was never released due to the tragic death of one of the band members. Not only are the lyrics totally unknown — the recordings of three of the album’s songs with Tupac in the lead are as well. This is an extraordinary discovery.” Rapper Tupac Shakur attends a voter registration event in South Central Los Angeles, Aug. 15, 1996. (AP Photo/Frank Wiese, File) The items include sheets of lyrics written on binder paper and plain white paper along with a tape of the unreleased recordings. Drake now owns Tupac Shakur’s $1M ring The item is available through public sale. Whoever does buy it will need to work with Shakur’s estate to release it.

Stroller accessory recalled after reports of children getting hurt

More than 33,000 stroller fans have been recalled after their Louisiana-based importer received several reports of the fan blades injuring children. The recall, which concerns Nuby Stroller Fans, was initiated last week. Consumers who may have purchased or installed the accessories are being urged to immediately discontinue use and contact the importer, a company called Luv n’ Care, for replacement fans. Luv n’ Care is also said to be contacting “all known purchasers directly,” according to a recall notice posted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Luv n’ care Nuby Stroller Fans Luv n’ care Nuby Stroller Fans Luv n’ care Nuby Stroller Fans Luv n’ care Nuby Stroller Fans The issue with the fans stems from the housing surrounding the blades, which “allows consumers’ fingers to contact the fan’s blade, posing a laceration injury hazard to small children,” the recall notice stated. Luv n’ Care received a total of seven reports of children accessing the blades, six of which resulted in lacerations to their fingers. National auto parts retailer closing all California stores The stroller fans were sold online at Nuby’s website and

L.A. County firefighter limps to station after violent crash

A Los Angeles County firefighter limped to a nearby station after a collision involving a black sedan that also left a motorist needing a rescue late Sunday night. The crash was reported shortly after 11 p.m. at South Willowbrook Avenue and East 120th Street. Arriving officers found one person trapped inside a black sedan with severe front-end damage, a California Highway Patrol spokesperson confirmed. The unidentified person was rescued from the vehicle and transported to a local hospital in unknown condition. A collision involving a sedan and a L.A. County fire truck left one person trapped on March 9, 2025. (OnScene.TV) A firefighter is seen walking back to the station after a crash in Willowbrook on March 9, 2025. (OnScene.TV) A collision involving a sedan and a L.A. County fire truck left one person trapped on March 9, 2025. (OnScene.TV) The fire truck also had damage to its front end but both crewmembers were able to get out of the vehicle on their own, freelance media firm OnScene.TV reported. One of them was seen limping to the station about a block away. The firefighters did

Wall Street’s sell-off gets worse as tariff worries deepen

NEW YORK (AP) — Wall Street’s sell-off is worsening Monday as worries about the economy and President Donald Trump’s tariffs send U.S. stocks further from their record set just last month. The S&P 500 was down 1.9% in morning trading, coming off its worst week since September. The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 369 points, or 0.9%, as of 10:30 a.m. Eastern time, and the Nasdaq composite was 3% lower. The main measure of the U.S. stock market is on track for a seventh swing of more than 1%, up or down, in the last eight days following a scary stretch dominated by Trump’s on -and- off -again tariffs. The worry is that tariffs will hurt the economy directly or just create enough uncertainty to drive U.S. companies and consumers into paralysis. The S&P 500 is down 7.8% from its all-time high set on Feb. 19.. The economy has already given some signals of weakening, mostly through surveys showing increased pessimism. And a widely followed collection of real-time indicators compiled by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta suggests the U.S. economy may already be shrinking. Asked over the weekend whether he was expecting a recession in 2025, Trump told Fox News Channel: “I hate to predict things

Ella Myrtle Melendrez

Our Mom will be greatly missed by all who knew her. She was a vibrant, fascinating woman who loved her family, her friends and her church. She was born in northern Saskatchewan to Frank and Myrtle Kroeker on their family farm. She learned how to make butter, milk cows and walk miles to school in the snow and cold. In 1941, her father moved the family to Whittier, CA for the great weather and ample opportunities for employment. There, Ella went to school and thrived and was the first person in her family to go to college, Whittier College, a small but prestigious school. She graduated with a liberal arts degree and became an elementary school teacher at New River School, and later she returned to the University of Pepperdine for her masters’ in reading and education. While in college she met her husband Julian Melendrez, they married in 1953 and had four children. They had many adventures including motorcycle racing in the hills of Orange County on his Harley, mini car races in the streets of Los Angeles to Laguna Beach, plus travel across

Check out Google’s new Santa Monica store

Apple has over 500 retail stores worldwide, but Google is taking a more selective approach, opening physical stores in key locations. Recently, I attended the grand opening of the company’s sixth location, which is now officially open in Santa Monica at the Third Street Promenade. “We’ve always wanted to have another way for our customers to engage with our products,” said Michael Camacho, who heads up retail stores for Google. The store is warm and inviting, reminiscent of home, with a help desk front and center. “It’s the first thing you see when you come in…so we’re hoping that that is part of why you come to the store,” said Camacho. “I think our team really, they are truly experts. I’m so excited for them to be able to show customers the magic of our devices.” You can walk in for help or set an appointment. Of course, Pixel phones are the primary sell here. There are also wearables, plus Nest smart home devices, and accessories like cases and watch bands. And if you want to geek out on Google gear, they’ve got you covered