Trump’s labor secretary pick on track to clear Senate committee with Democratic help

Trump picks Chavez-DeRemer for Labor sec. President-elect Donald Trump picks Lori Chavez-DeRemer for Labor secretary 02:12 Washington — Former GOP Rep. Lori Chavez-DeRemer’s nomination to lead the Labor Department under President Trump is all but certain to be advanced Thursday with the help of Democrats.  The Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions is set to vote Thursday morning to consider moving her nomination forward.  Facing opposition from Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, a Republican member of the committee, Chavez-DeRemer’s path to confirmation once appeared in doubt. Paul had said he would oppose her because of her previous support for pro-labor policies.  Chavez-DeRemer was one of only three Republicans who supported the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, or PRO Act, in the last Congress, which did not advance past introduction. The bill would have made it easier for workers to unionize. During her confirmation hearing last week, the former lawmaker addressed her prior support for the bill, saying it was “imperfect” and she backs right-to-work laws, which allow workers to choose whether or not to join a union.  Without Paul, Chavez-DeRemer needs at

With eyes on distribution, changes coming to Lompoc brewery

A Lompoc brewery is making some changes in an effort to grow with demand. In a social media post, Cold Coast Brewing Company says theyre shifting their license to operate as a tavern. The change will allow them to update brewing equipment, get another cold storage unit and, down the road, a canning line, so they can become stronger and be able to distribute. Tasting room manager Nathan Navarro says in the meantime, theyll be selling and serving beers from other breweries at their Ocean Avenue location. Navarro says the change is a positive one, giving people more options. He also is hoping more people find out about their brewery. That way, when we go back to brewing, they already know about us,” he said. Cold Coast Brewery has been able to brew more than 80 beers depending on available ingredients. Our flagships are usually the tropical IPA, cold classic, the double IPA. We are going to be keeping the cold classic, the tropical IPA, and our salty, our Salty Boy, which is, just a non-flavored seltzer that we put some syrup in and, like

BBB, FTC to host free webinar on impostor scams

Scammers are getting smarter, but you can stay one step ahead. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) serving the Tri-Counties, in partnership with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), is hosting a free educational webinar on March 4 at 11 a.m. “Unmasking Impostor Scams: Key Strategies to Protect Yourself” is a webinar that will teach attendees how to spot and avoid scams, protect their identity, and safeguard their finances. Experts will share real-life case studies and provide practical tips to help businesses and consumers recognize red flags. Richard Copelan with the BBB said the event will be particularly useful for small business owners who are often targeted by fraudsters. You risk losing everything financially if scammers get ahold of your financial information, Copelan said. Theres also the issue of a data breach. A business could have its data held for ransom. I recently had a colleague go through that, and it was an absolute nightmare. Its shocking how much detail scammers can gather about you and your employees through a data breach. Registration is now open at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3972165420219669343. The webinar is free, but space is limited. WATCH:

Jayden Daniels, NFL quarterback and San Bernardino native, meets fans in Riverside

The rookie was back in town. San Bernardino product Jayden Daniels, a rising star in the NFL, met Saturday, Feb. 22, with fans at a trading card event. NFL player Jayden Daniels, a graduate of San Bernardino’s Cajon High School, appears Saturday, Feb. 22, 2025, at Rizo Sports in Riverside. He led the Washington Commanders to the NFL playoffs as a rookie in the 2024 season. (Courtesy of Fanatics) NFL player Jayden Daniels, a graduate of San Bernardino’s Cajon High School, appears Saturday, Feb. 22, 2025, at Rizo Sports in Riverside. He led the Washington Commanders to the NFL playoffs as a rookie in the 2024 season. (Courtesy of Fanatics) NFL player Jayden Daniels, a graduate of San Bernardino’s Cajon High School, appears Saturday, Feb. 22, 2025, at Rizo Sports in Riverside. He led the Washington Commanders to the NFL playoffs as a rookie in the 2024 season. (Courtesy of Fanatics) Show Caption 1 of 3 NFL player Jayden Daniels, a graduate of San Bernardino’s Cajon High School, appears Saturday, Feb. 22, 2025, at Rizo Sports in Riverside. He led the Washington Commanders to the

Rancho Cucamonga taps developer to take over century-old winery

Following years of study and community feedback, the century-old Joseph Filippi Winery will continue to have a home in Rancho Cucamonga, albeit under ownership and possibly a new name. At its most recent meeting, the Rancho Cucamonga City Council agreed to place the historic winery and its future into the hands of National CORE, an affordable housing developer that is making its first foray into commercial development. Founded in 1916 as Regina Winery, and located at 12467 Base Line Road, Joseph Filippi Winery is the last substantial winery within the city. Rancho Cucamonga officials been working on plans for the winery since 2021, when current owner Joseph Filippi announced his plans to retire well ahead of the termination of his $1-a-year land lease with the city. Needing to find a new lessee to keep the property intact, per contract agreements, the city embarked on a series of town hall meetings in 2022 to vet various plans for the property. Aside from a couple mentions at City Council meetings, including residents speaking on the issue, however, the future of the winery remained unclear until this month.

Collecting books and considering how to store them

By Donna Kennedy | Contributing Columnist Donna Kennedy was a features writer for The Press-Enterprise and is a former writing instructor. (Photo courtesy of Donna Kennedy) We’re surrounded by books. It’s inevitable, since my husband and I are old English majors who regularly add, but seldom subtract, from our collection. More books were added during post-doc study, and we keep them nearby as references. Sometimes our 17-year-old grandtwins need a classic novel or literary example. Some are old favorites we might want to read again. We’re not tempted by the latest best sellers unless friends recommend or loan them to us. We prefer treasures found at estate, library and neighborhood sales. On walks with our granddaughter, I check out the offerings at Little Free Libraries in the neighborhood. “Come on!” she scolds. “You have enough books!” “So do you,” I retort, when she loads books onto her arms. She’s subject to our influence and stacks her bedroom full of hardbacks and paperbacks as well. Our downtown neighborhood is quite literary, judging from the revolving contents of the three book boxes we visit. And we also

Two Killed in Fiery Freeway Crash in Anaheim Hills

Three people were killed in a fiery crash Wednesday involving four vehicles that closed multiple lanes of the Riverside (91) Freeway in Anaheim Hills. California Highway Patrol officers were called to the eastbound freeway and the Coal Canyon Road off-ramp around 12:50 a.m. Wednesday and found the victims and the vehicles, CHP Officer Sergio Rivera said. An Infiniti sedan was stopped in the No. 2 lane of the freeway for an unknown reason, causing a Honda to also stop before a Hyundai slammed into the rear of the Honda, which burst into flames, killing the three occupants, Rivera said. A Toyota passing by also sustained some minor damage, he added. The other drivers complained of pain, but otherwise there were no other serious injuries besides the three who were killed. It will take time for investigators to confirm the identities of those killed in the Honda, Rivera said. The CHP issued a Sigalert that closed all lanes of the 91 Freeway for several hours while they investigated the cause of the crash.

Judge Rules Former Oil Regulator Can Proceed With Retaliation Claim

A former top state oil regulator can proceed with retaliation claims in a lawsuit in which he says he was forced out by Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration for objecting to orders that he implement a law that was about to be placed on hold because of an industry-funded voter referendum. Former State Oil and Gas Supervisor Uduak-Joe Ntuk alleges in the Los Angeles Superior Court lawsuit brought in September 2023 that he was forced to resign a little more than a week after filing a whistleblower complaint with the state Department of Conservation that also raised concerns about the legality of a plan to halt all new drilling permits statewide without the proper authority. Judge Gail Killefer heard arguments on the Attorney General’s Office’s dismissal motion Friday, took the case under submission and issued her final ruling Tuesday. The judge did dismiss Ntuk’s causes of action for wrongful and constructive termination as well as whistleblower protection and state Labor Code violations. Ntuk is a former engineer with Chevron whose oil-field moratoriums and other actions drew strong criticism from oil and gas producers. The suit deals

Business expo scheduled

CORNING — Rolling Hills Casino Event Center will host the second annual Elevate & Inspire Business Summit, presented by the Red Bluff-Tehama County Chamber of Commerce March 13. “This Business Summit promises to be an amazing gathering of business leaders and professionals eager to gain valuable insights and elevate their skills. This dynamic event will include a full breakfast and features expert-led presentations by the California Employers Association highly experienced and motivational speakers,” said Dave Gowan, CEO of Red Bluff-Tehama County Chamber of Commerce. Attendees can explore skills for successful employers, engage with new generations in the workforce and discover the art of leading with intention, connect with sponsors and vendors throughout the event who support exceptional business and leadership training in California. The event costs $65 to attend. The event begins at 8 a.m. with registration, breakfast and vendor booths. This is followed by a welcome and introduction by Gowan. The event wraps up at noon. Presenters include Kim Gusman, who will discuss what employees and employers need to be successful. By incorporating Artificial Intelligence (AI) and flexibility to retain top employees and find

Private company rockets toward the moon in the latest rush of lunar landing attempts

By MARCIA DUNN, Associated Press CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A private company launched another lunar lander Wednesday, aiming to get closer to the moon’s south pole this time with a drone that will hop into a jet-black crater that never sees the sun. Intuitive Machines’ lander, named Athena, caught a lift with SpaceX from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. It’s taking a fast track to the moon — with a landing on March 6 — while hoping to avoid the fate of its predecessor, which tipped over at touchdown. Never before have so many spacecraft angled for the moon’s surface all at once. Last month, U.S. and Japanese companies shared a rocket and separately launched landers toward Earth’s sidekick. Texas-based Firefly Aerospace should get there first this weekend after a big head start. The two U.S. landers are carrying tens of millions of dollars’ worth of experiments for NASA as it prepares to return astronauts to the moon. “It’s an amazing time. There’s so much energy,” NASA’s science mission chief Nicky Fox told The Associated Press a few hours ahead of the launch. This isn’t

Trump administration cutting 90% of USAID foreign aid contracts, documents show

By ELLEN KNICKMEYER and MATTHEW LEE, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says it is eliminating more than 90% of the U.S. Agency for International Development’s foreign aid contracts and $60 billion in overall U.S. assistance around the world, according to an internal memo obtained by The Associated Press. It details the outcome of a 90-day review ordered by President Donald Trump of all the money provided by USAID and the State Department for development and aid work overseas. Related Articles National Politics | UC San Diego expands faculty hiring freeze to staff workers National Politics | What’s next for Trump agenda after House GOP approves tax breaks and slashed spending in budget National Politics | Track the lawsuits against President Trump’s executive actions National Politics | A Project 2025 author carries out his vision for mass federal layoffs National Politics | EPA head urges Trump to reconsider scientific finding that underpins climate action, AP sources say The move leaves few surviving USAID projects for advocates to try to save in what are ongoing court battles. The Trump administration outlined its plans in

UC San Diego expands faculty hiring freeze to staff workers

The faculty hiring freeze UC San Diego imposed last week to deal with a campus financial crisis and federal funding uncertainty has been expanded to include staff employees, except those working at the university’s health care facilities. Chancellor Pradeep Khosla announced the expansion Monday while talking to about 200 employees via Zoom. The university has more than 41,000 workers, making it the second largest employer in San Diego County. The move came as Stanford University in the Bay Area imposed a staff hiring freeze of its own, the president told the campus community in an email. A freeze of this size is unprecedented for UCSD, which could get a $55 million budget cut from Gov. Gavin Newsom as part of his effort to balance the state budget. Newsom also has proposed cutting about $345 million from the rest of the University of California system, pushing the total to about $400 million. But for UCSD, those cuts could be dwarfed by federal funding cuts. The school also says it could lose upwards of $150 million in funding from National Institutes of Health, which has been told by

NCJ Editor Greenson Shares 40th Award Win

The Humboldt Journalism Project recently named two first place winners for this year’s 40th Award, including North Coast Journal News Editor Thadeus Greenson for his series of articles on the controversy surrounding Eureka City Schools’ now-defunct deal with a mystery developer for the purchase of the former Jacobs Middle School and a Eureka ballot measure seeking to block affordable housing projects. “His coverage, published in the face of a threatening letter from the school district’s attorney, shed light on the players behind a land deal that was intertwined with Eureka’s Measure F,” a press release says. “That ballot measure, which failed in November, would have limited Eureka’s affordable housing plans and protected parking lots instead.” Also honored was Isabella Vanderheiden of the Lost Coast Outpost for her work, “There a Ticking Time Bomb in the Heart of Orick, and It’s Not Clear Whether Anybody Can Do Anything About It,” which the release describes as examining the “complex issues of flood safety, river ecology, levee maintenance and much more, describing multi-layered conflicts in efforts to protect the struggling community of Orick.” The award, which comes with