State asks court to force Cajon Valley to comply with law on school sex-ed requirements

The California Department of Education wants a judge to order Cajon Valley Unified School District to implement corrective measures after it found the district’s sexual-health curriculum discriminated against LGBTQ+ students. The 11-page petition, filed in San Diego Superior Court on Wednesday, follows a state investigation last year that found that the district’s sexual health curriculum left out required information on LGBTQ+ and gender topics. Since that finding, the district has not adopted a curriculum it said it would, the state says. The board of trustees voted 3-1 against adopting the updates at a Jan. 31 special meeting. “CVUSD has, at all times through the date of this Petition, unlawfully refused and failed to carry out the corrective actions set forth in the CDE’s Investigation Report, dated July 8, 2024,” attorneys for the state department wrote. The state is seeking a writ of mandamus to compel the district to comply with those corrective actions it ordered. When the state released its investigative findings last year, district leaders told the San Diego Union-Tribune they felt that their curriculum met state requirements but would review it. The state

UCSD’s long-awaited South County expansion takes shape with plans for bachelor’s degrees at Southwestern College

In what could be the start of a major expansion into South County, UC San Diego plans to introduce a bachelor’s degree program in public health at Southwestern College in Chula Vista, whose residents have been trying to attract a major university for decades. UCSD outlined its plan in a report to the California Legislature, adding that it will consider additional bachelor’s degree programs and expects to offer certificate programs in four as yet unnamed disciplines, likely at a city facility. But the idea depends on the availability of funding. The school laid out its plans well before new Trump administration cuts threatened to cost it hundreds of millions in funding. “As UC San Diego grows its undergraduate student body, which has increased by 9,500 students in the past 10 years, we are excited to expand opportunities in Chula Vista and South San Diego County,” the school says in its report. The university says it will teach public health courses on the Southwestern campus, converting enrollees into UCSD transfer students in a four-year pilot program that it wants to introduce next year. A delay is possible.

Deported mom returns to U.S. after 14 years away from her family. ‘God has given me this miracle.’

Standing in line with a large bag and suitcase at the San Ysidro pedestrian border crossing, among the many others waiting to enter the U.S., was a 40-year-old mother who was deported to Mexico 14 years ago. When she reached the end of the line, Marilú Montalvo was finally able to return Monday to the country where her U.S.-citizen children live. “God has given me this miracle to be able to come back,” she said. Montalvo is the latest in a group of deported mothers who have waited more than a decade, under Democratic and Republican administrations, to legally reunite with their families in the United States. She was granted a U nonimmigrant visa, which is given to victims of certain crimes that either occurred in the U.S. or violated its laws. The Tijuana-San Diego Dreamers’ Moms group was founded in 2014 to support deported women and mothers who had been separated from their families. While not officially tied to the DREAM Act, which allows certain youth who immigrated to the U.S. illegally as young children to remain legally in the country, the group’s name

Vegetation fire reaches nearly 40 acres in Warner Springs

Video above: This FOX 5/KUSI video gives insight into wildfire emergency preparedness. WARNER SPRINGS, Calif. (FOX 5/KUSI) — A vegetation fire erupted in Warner Springs on Friday afternoon, prompting a response from Cal Fire crews. Shortly before 4 p.m., fire officials noted on social media that the blaze, dubbed the Scout Fire, was located near San Felipe Road and Highway 79.   A map of the impacted area, shared by Cal Fire, can be seen below: (Google Maps) Crews respond to vegetation fire near Santa Margarita River Trail The fire was initially reported to be at 10 acres, with a moderate rate of spread in grass. In an update a short time later, Cal Fire said the blaze was stopped at 39 acres. Firefighters remained at the scene for several hours to build containment lines around the fire and cooling hot spots. No evacuation orders were ordered and no injuries were reported in connection to this incident.

Family of Vista man killed in hit-and-run seeks public’s help for justice

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — The family of a Vista man killed in an apparent hit-and-run crash is asking for the public’s help in getting justice for their loved one.  “It hurts so much to know he was there alone and I can’t still process it that someone did that to him,” said Carolina Alvarado, Heath Ogle’s wife. Tears streamed down her face as she described the anguish of losing her husband. Ogle, 35, was found dead on North Santa Fe Avenue in Vista the night of Feb. 19, 2025, just two miles from his home. Surveillance footage captures moments leading up to El Cajon pursuit The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s office said he was spotted by a passerby lying next to his one-wheel electric skateboard. Now, a memorial sits near the spot where Ogle’s life was tragically taken. “That is a busy road. We have been there. It is a very busy road and people drive too fast in that area,” said Tina Ogle, the deceased man’s mother. “We were afraid we were going to get run over before we left there.” Between January 2022

Things to do in San Diego this weekend

SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — With the weekend comes a new month, as well as several opportunities to have some fun in San Diego. For those looking for ways to spend their leisure time, here are some things to do across the region this Saturday and Sunday. San Diego FC vs. St. Louis City SC San Diego FC is set to host its inaugural home opener at Snapdragon Stadium against St. Louis City SC. The match is expected to draw the largest crowd in the stadium’s history. Only a limited amount of tickets remain as demand is high for the much anticipated sporting event. Move fast if you’re hoping to secure a seat. San Diego FC home opener: Where to watch outside Snapdragon Stadium Mardi Gras celebrations If you’re looking to take part in some Mardi Gras celebrations, head to the Gaslamp Quarter to sip New Orleans-inspired cocktails while strolling along Fifth Avenue. Another option is SeaWorld San Diego, which is hosting its own event with live music and vibrant costumes. Additionally, Sesame Place San Diego is hosting its first-ever Mardi Gras celebration for guests. San Diego Festival

Pope Francis stable a day after respiratory crisis, Vatican says

ROME — Pope Francis remained in stable condition Saturday a day after a respiratory crisis, and spent long periods of the day off the noninvasive ventilation he needed to recover with less intensive high-flow supplemental oxygen. Francis had no further episodes of bronchial spasms, no fever, was feeding himself and continued his respiratory physiotherapy, actively cooperating, the Vatican said in a late statement. The 88-year-old pope had a good response in his blood gas levels even during the “long periods” he was off the ventilator and only using high-flow supplemental oxygen. But his prognosis remained guarded. “The Holy Father is always vigilant” and aware of what’s going on around him, the statement said, adding that he received the Eucharist and spent time in prayer. THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. The following is AP’s previous story. Pope Francis had coffee and was reading newspapers Saturday after an alarming setback in his two-week recovery from double pneumonia: Doctors had to put him on noninvasive mechanical ventilation following a coughing fit in which he inhaled vomit that needed to then be extracted. Doctors said it would take

Former Gov. Andrew Cuomo launches political comeback with a run for New York City mayor

By ANTHONY IZAGUIRRE Associated Press Saturday, March 1, 2025 6:08PM Live streaming newscasts, breaking news, weather & original, local programming. NEW YORK — Former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday that he is running for mayor of New York City, relaunching his political career following a yearslong exile over a barrage of sexual harassment accusations. In a video announcing his run, Cuomo pitched his return as a way to pull the city from social and political turmoil, highlighting moderate positions on crime and his long history of political accomplishments. “I am not saying this is going to be easy, it won’t be easy but I know we can turn the city around and I believe I can help and that is why I announce my candidacy today for Mayor of New York City today,” he said. The Democrat is expected to mount a formidable campaign, despite entering the race deeply wounded by the scandal that forced his resignation from the governor’s office in 2021. He takes on a large field of primary opponents with low name recognition plus an incumbent, Mayor Eric Adams, who

David Johansen, New York Dolls singer who also found fame as Buster Poindexter, dies at 75

NEW YORK — David Johansen, the wiry, gravelly-voiced singer and last surviving member of the glam and protopunk band the New York Dolls who later performed as his campy, pompadoured alter ego, Buster Poindexter, has died. He was 75. Johansen died Friday at his home in New York City, according to Rolling Stone, citing a family spokesperson. It was revealed in early 2025 that he had stage 4 cancer and a brain tumor. The New York Dolls were forerunners of punk and the band’s style – teased hair, women’s clothes and lots of makeup – inspired the glam movement that took up residence in heavy metal a decade later in bands like Faster Pussycat and Mötley Crüe. Buster Poindexter is seen at the Grammy Awards in New York’s Radio City Music Hall, March 2, 1988. AP Photo, File “When you’re an artist, the main thing you want to do is inspire people, so if you succeed in doing that, it’s pretty gratifying,” Johansen told The Knoxville News-Sentinel in 2011. Rolling Stone once called the Dolls “the mutant children of the hydrogen age” and Vogue called

Man, 18, arrested in connection with Long Beach killing of 32-year-old

Two weeks after the shooting that resulted in the death of a man in Long Beach, an 18-year-old was arrested on Friday, authorities said. According to the Long Beach Police Department, John Paul Mcintyre III was arrested on suspicion of murder at a home in the city of Los Angeles on Friday. Mcintyre, a Long Beach resident, is being held at Long Beach City Jail with bail set at $3 million. His arrest comes after 32-year-old Edgar Ortiz-Escamilla, of Long Beach, was shot and killed on Feb. 16 in the 1700 block of Long Beach Boulevard. Another man also suffered from gunshot wounds, but survived. It wasn’t clear how police connected Mcintyre to the shooting. No additional details were immediately made available.

LAFD took months to alert city that fire hydrants needed repairs: report

Amid scrutiny for how the city of Los Angeles and its agencies handled the response to the Palisades Fire, new reports indicate that repairs to fire hydrants could have been made before the blaze erupted. According to a report from the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Fire Department failed to immediately alert the city’s Department of Water and Power that more than 1,000 fire hydrants needed repairs. LAFD reported the findings of its inspections in mid-February, despite the fact that they were performed months earlier. The inspections were performed well before the Palisades Fire, which torched tens of thousands of acres of L.A. and destroyed thousands of structures, broke out on Jan. 7. Despite the timing of the inspections, the DWP wasn’t alerted to the findings until a KCBS-TV report revealed on Feb. 12 that 1,350 fire hydrants needed repairs. The findings come as water problems persisted during the battle against the blaze. The morning after the Palisades Fire started, Chief Executive and Chief Engineer of the DWP Janisse Quiñones said all one-million-gallon water storage tanks that supply the Palisades hydrants “went dry.”  

Trump says in social media post he plans to pardon the late Pete Rose

President Donald Trump says he plans to issue “a complete PARDON of Pete Rose,” baseball’s late career hits leader who was banned from MLB and the Hall of Fame for sports betting. Trump posted on Truth Social on Friday night to say Rose, who died in September at 83, “shouldn’t have been gambling on baseball, but only bet on HIS TEAM WINNING.” Pete Rose speaks with KTLA 5 in final interview Trump did not specifically mention Rose’s tax case in which Rose pleaded guilty in 1990 to two counts of filing false tax returns and served a five-month prison sentence. The president said he would sign a pardon for Rose “over the next few weeks.” MLB and Rose agreed to a permanent ban in 1989 after an investigation determined he had bet on games involving the Cincinnati Reds from 1985-87 while playing for and managing the team. The Hall of Fame board of directors in 1991 adopted a rule preventing people on the permanently ineligible list from appearing on the hall ballot.

Teen shot, killed in Willowbrook; suspect at large

Authorities are searching for answers after a teenager was shot and killed in the Los Angeles County community of Willowbrook around midnight on Friday. The incident, according to the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, occurred just before midnight on the 13100 block of Jarvis Avenue. The victim was shot an unknown amount of times and transported to a local hospital, where he later died. His identity was not released due to his juvenile status. No suspect information was immediately made available. The investigation is ongoing, authorities said. Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.

“It made me cry”: locals share thoughts on heated Oval Office exchange between U.S. and Ukrainian leaders

“It made me cry”: local Ukrainian’s thoughts on heated exchange between U.S. and Ukrainian leaders. LA JOLLA, Calif. (KGTV) — The heated exchange at Friday’s Oval Office meeting between President Donald Trump, Vice President JD Vance, and President Volodymyr Zelenskyy sparked strong reactions in San Diego’s Ukrainian Community. The meeting just happened to coincide with the same day a rally was already planned by local Ukrainian organizations. The rally was held Friday evening on the Nobel Dr. overpass in La Jolla. Organizers said the rally’s purpose was to remind everyone that Ukraine is not the enemy and didn’t start the war. Mira Rubin, President of the nonprofit Shield of Freedom, was one rally organizer. Shield of Freedom supports Ukrainian soldiers on the frontlines of the war with non-lethal aid, such as technology to detect drones, night vision goggles, ambulance trucks, and more. Rubin told ABC 10News that watching Friday’s Oval Office meeting was upsetting. “It brought tears to my eyes,” Rubin said. “I was crying watching this. I’ve never seen diplomacy gone so bad, so public. I didn’t see it coming.” Rubin said she cried

San Diego’s Weather Forecast for Saturday, March 1, 2025: Gray, drizzly Saturday

ABC 10News Pinpoint Weather with Moses Small: Gray, drizzly Saturday We’re stepping into a gray, drizzly Saturday. Overnight some parts of the county have seen light showers, but it’s mostly stayed to the north county. As of 7 a.m., the City of San Diego has not received any measurable rainfall. We’ll see periods of light rain throughout the day, with San Diego expecting raindrops in the early afternoon. While we won’t see very much rain today, it’s a good idea to watch out for slick roads. Take it slow out there and increase your following distance to stay as safe as possible. According to the National Weather Service, accidents become three to five times more likely during rainy days! Daytime highs are cool around the county. Along the coast and inland, expect highs in the low 60s. In the mountains, most areas will reach only into the upper 50s. Meantime the deserts will reach into the mid 70s. Showers pick up tomorrow night. That’s when a storm dives south, bringing us more consistent showers from Sunday night through Monday. While we won’t see much rain

Unidentified boy’s body found in shallow grave sparks decades-long mystery

More than 30 years after a grim discovery, the identity of a young boy whose body was found buried in a shallow grave on private property in Ramona remains a mystery. SAN DIEGO (KGTV) – More than 30 years after a grim discovery, the identity of a young boy whose body was found buried in a shallow grave on private property in Ramona remains a mystery. On April 6, 1989, the son of the homeowners was riding his motorbike on their property, located along a stretch of Highway 78 just east of Rancho Vista Drive, when he came across what he believed to be a grave, with a hand sticking out. The family immediately contacted authorities, and investigators confirmed the discovery of a body. According to Detective Brent Spencer of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office Cold Case Homicide Unit, the victim was estimated to be between 12 and 15 years old and had sustained significant trauma, leading investigators to determine the death was a homicide. The coroner estimated the body had been in the grave for at least a few months, possibly longer due