Kurtenbach: Deebo Samuel’s time with the 49ers is over, and that’s a good thing

Deebo Samuel’s time as a 49er is over. Nothing is official yet, but the fate is unavoidable. Before March 22 — and likely before NFL free agency opens on March 12 — the Niners will cut Samuel with a post-June 1 designation. The deal will save the Niners a few more bucks compared to a more traditional cut. But Samuel won’t be able to save face between now and then. Credit where it’s due: the 49ers and Samuel are trying to manage this exit with some class. That makes this saga a whole lot more palatable than the one that led up to him signing his mega-contract with the 49ers back in 2022. Still, this is an undignified end to the San Francisco career of a truly great player. If only that “great” status applied to last year. The Niners would have been well-served to cut Samuel on their own volition following a season where the receiver caught only 51 of 81 targets and rushed for a paltry 3.2 yards per carry, with a public complaint about not getting the ball sprinkled in for good

SF Giants’ Hicks dials up the heat in Cactus League debut

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Jordan Hicks bulked up over the winter in hopes of maintaining his strength – and velocity – as he enters his second season as a mainstay in the Giants’ rotation. Hicks came out firing in his Cactus League debut Wednesday, reaching triple digits multiple times in a 35-pitch outing in the Giants’ 4-4 tie against the Chicago Cubs at Scottsdale Stadium. “This feels like home,” Hicks said. “I’m still earning a spot every day but I feel like I’m part of the rotation and… just want to go out there and have fun.” The San Francisco Giants Jordan Hicks signs autographs during a FanFest event at Napa Yard, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2025, in Napa, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group) Before joining the Giants last season as a free agent, the 28-year-old Hicks had pitched almost exclusively as a reliever with the St. Louis Cardinals. Hicks uses a sinker as his primary pitch. In 2023, as a reliever, he averaged 100.1 mph on that pitch. In 2024, the sinker dropped to an average of 94.5 mph across a career-high 109.2 innings. From

Michelle Trachtenberg’s death sparks question: Why a liver transplant?

Following multiple reports that “Gossip Girl” star Michelle Trachtenberg had a liver transport sometime before her death Wednesday at age 39, fans have wondered why she would have needed such an serious operation. Trachtenberg’s cause of death has not officially been released and is pending an autopsy by the New York City medical examiner’s office, the New York Times reported. Officials say the former child actor was found unconscious and unresponsive in her Manhattan apartment at around 8 a.m. Trachtenberg’s rep, Gary Mantoosh, would not release “further details at this time,” as he released a statement saying, “It is with great sadness to confirm that Michelle Trachtenberg has passed away. The family requests privacy for their loss.” Sources have told ABC News, the New York Post and TMZ that she had recently undergone a liver transplant and may have been experiencing complications. This possibility has prompted many online to ask why a relatively young woman like Trachtenberg would need a new liver and to wonder if she had been struggling with health issues in recent years. Until friends, family or officials come forward to confirm

Trump administration releases $315 million in blocked funding for two new California reservoir projects

The Trump administration has announced that two key California reservoir projects will receive $315 million in federal funding to help the state store more water in wet years to reduce shortages in dry years. The administration is investing the money toward the costs of constructing the massive new Sites Reservoir, proposed for Colusa County about 70 miles north of Sacramento, and to raise the height of the dam at San Luis Reservoir, along Highway 152 east of Gilroy, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said in a news release Tuesday. But there’s fine print in the deal that the agency didn’t explain. Trump isn’t providing any new federal money for either project. Instead, it’s money that was already approved by Congress before Trump took office last month, and which had been announced for the projects by the Biden administration over the past few years. After Trump was sworn in on Jan. 20, he blocked the funding as part of a sweeping, government-wide prohibition on spending billions of dollars of federal grants. Critics have called Trump’s move illegal and have sued to overturn it. The move to

How players graded the 49ers’ organization in union survey

The 49ers took a precipitous dip in terms of performance in 2024 but there wasn’t much slippage in terms of how the organization is viewed by its players. The NFLPA released its report cards Wednesday for each team in which 1,695 players evaluate the overall working conditions and their daily experience at team facilities, with the 49ers ranking eighth overall (down from sixth a year ago) and receiving “A” grades in six of 11 categories and “B” grades in the other five. Players were only allowed to vote for teams for which they are under contract. How the 49ers fared Head coach: A. Most of the roster (97 percent) judged coach Kyle Shanahan as being efficient with their team and that Shanahan is “moderately” receptive to locker room feedback. Ownership: A-. CEO Jed York got high marks for perceived willingness to invest in facilities and that he is committed to building a competitive team with a positive culture. Food/dining area: A. Finished fourth out of 32 teams with high marks for taste, freshness of food Weight room: A-. Were complemented for the quality of weight room equipment and having

Sylvan Avenue Closed for Crash Investigation

Central Valley TV Sylvan Avenue Closed for Crash Investigation News Published 1 week ago on February 25, 2025 MODESTO – A collision involving a vehicle and a bicyclist closed down Sylvan Tuesday evening. The crash happened shortly after 7:30pm at the intersection of Sylvan Avenue and Wood Sorrel Drive. The driver of a white Scion SUV remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators. Police say the driver and another occupant suffered minor injuries. This is the third major crash investigation involving less than 24 hours in the City of Modesto. Earlier Tuesday a Tesla collided with a tree near 4th and K Streets and caught fire, claiming the driver’s life. Late Monday night a motorist was killed on River Road when their vehicle collided with a tree. All three collisions remain under investigation. Carlos Rodriguez is an Emmy Award winning photojournalist specializing in public safety and natural disasters. His passion for local news stems from a deep commitment to his community, with a selfless mission to inform the citizens of the valley. As he worked on assignment for 19 days at the devastating Camp

Fiery Crash Reported Near Downtown Modesto

Central Valley TV Fiery Crash Reported Near Downtown Modesto Uncategorized Published 5 days ago on February 25, 2025 MODESTO – A fiery crash near downtown Modesto closed several roadways Tuesday afternoon. The crash happened shortly before 12:30pm near the intersection of 4th and K Streets. Early reports indicate two vehicles were involved, with the collision causing one to catch fire. Witnesses attempted to pull a motorist out of the burning vehicle which was fully engulfed before emergency personnel arrived. The fire spread to a nearby fence but firefighters were able to stop it from spreading further. Witnesses in the area said the vehicle that crash was a Tesla, and it hit a speed bump before the collision. The vehicle was stopped on the sidewalk. The crash is under investigation. Carlos Rodriguez is an Emmy Award winning photojournalist specializing in public safety and natural disasters. His passion for local news stems from a deep commitment to his community, with a selfless mission to inform the citizens of the valley. As he worked on assignment for 19 days at the devastating Camp Fire in Paradise, California, he

Fatal Crash on River Road Investigated

Central Valley TV Fatal Crash on River Road Investigated News Published 5 days ago on February 25, 2025 MODESTO – Police are investigating the cause of a crash on River Road late Monday night that claimed the life of a motorist. At about 11:45pm emergency personnel responded to the 1000 block of River Road for a report of a vehicle collision. The crash involved a white vehicle that had struck a tree. It was the only vehicle believed to be involved in the crash. Responders found a woman driver in the vehicle who was unresponsive. She died from her injuries at the scene. Traffic officers responded to investigate the crash. Anyone with information regarding the incident is encouraged to contact Officer Avina at avinac@modestopd.com. Carlos Rodriguez is an Emmy Award winning photojournalist specializing in public safety and natural disasters. His passion for local news stems from a deep commitment to his community, with a selfless mission to inform the citizens of the valley. As he worked on assignment for 19 days at the devastating Camp Fire in Paradise, California, he spent most of his time

Second Suspect Arrested in Homicide Case

Central Valley TV Second Suspect Arrested in Homicide Case News Published 4 days ago on February 23, 2025 STOCKTON – Authorities made a second arrest in a November 2024 shooting that claimed the life of one person and injured a second. Officials said during follow up investigation, they identified 23 year old De’Andre Watts as a suspect in the homicide. He was located and arrested by a US Marshals task force Saturday in North Stockton without incident and booked into the San Joaquin County Jail. The shooting originally took place on November 18, 2024. Police officers responded to the area of East Park and California Streets for a report of a shooting. Arriving officers found two victims, age 18 and 30. They were taken to a hospital where the 30 year old victim died from his injuries. The 18 year old was treated and released. A few days later on November 26th, officers and US Marshals arrested 22 year old De’Arius Wilson. He was booked into jail on charges related to the homicide. Authorities say the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information related to the

2/26: America Decides

2/26: America Decides – CBS News Watch CBS News Trump holds first cabinet meeting; Will DOGE save gov’t money? Is recession near? Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

First measles death in Texas outbreak reported

First measles death in Texas outbreak reported – CBS News Watch CBS News An unvaccinated child hospitalized with measles has died, the first reported death from the illness amid an outbreak across Texas and New Mexico. CBS News correspondent Omar Villafranca reports. Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

Nearly 500 Operators Issued Violation Notices for Non-Compliance of Warehouse Rule, AQMD Says

Since 2023, the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) has issued 475 violations to operators for noncompliance with its warehouse Indirect Source Rule that’s aimed at reducing pollution from warehouses in the Inland Empire and across Southern California. Many of these violations are concentrated in cities like Ontario and Fontana, which have over 40 violations according to AQMD’s data. Other areas, including Jurupa Valley, Chino and Rialto, have also become hotspots for violations. Officially known as the Warehouse Actions and Investments to Reduce Emissions (WAIRE) program, the rule targets facilities larger than 100,000 square feet and incentivizes warehouse operators to reduce emissions through a points system. Operators earn points by using electric vehicles and installing solar panels to curb pollution from trucks and mobile equipment used in warehouse operations. AQMD reports that many operators have come into compliance, but also told KVCR and The Frontline Observer that violators could face fines. The agency emphasized that its first efforts will focus on reaching settlements that can include penalties or environmental projects. If no agreement is reached, cases may go to court. So far, AQMD says

Colton Residents Must Select New Waste Carts by March 15 or Default to Larger Size, City Warns

Colton residents have until March 15, 2025, to choose the size of their new waste carts as part of the city’s transition to a state-mandated three-bin system—or they will automatically receive larger 96-gallon carts, city officials warned at the Feb. 18 council meeting. CR&R, the city’s waste hauler, mailed out postcards last week asking residents to select either 64-gallon or 96-gallon bins for trash, recycling, and organic waste. The new system, required under California Senate Bill 1383, will take effect on Sept. 1, 2025. “I want to let you know we sent out a mailer last week, and every resident will receive it,” said Beline Coderro of CR&R. “Residents will be able to choose between 96-gallon carts and 64-gallon cart lids. You have the option to choose one or the other by filling out the requested information.” Residents can return the prepaid postcard or complete the form online at this link. “We are trying to get the word out,” Coderro added. “With any questions, contact me or our customer service line at (909) 370-3377.” Councilmember Kelly Chastain urged residents to act quickly. “I know the

Immigrant Journey to Business Success: Colton City Council Recognizes Manna Donuts’ 35-Year Legacy in the Community

The Colton City Council honored Manna Donuts, a longstanding business in the community, during its Feb. 18 meeting, presenting owners Ngi Ly and Jennifer Ly with a “Business Focus” Recognition Award for their decades of success and service. Located in the Canyon Bluffs Plaza on Washington Street, Manna Donuts has been a fixture of Colton’s east-side business community for 35 years. The shop first opened in 1990 and has since become a go-to destination for locals and travelers alike. Originally from Cambodia, Ngi and Jennifer Ly moved to Vietnam before immigrating separately to the United States. Ngi arrived in Loma Linda in 1989, while Jennifer initially settled in Richmond, near San Francisco, before moving to Southern California to live with her brother. The couple reconnected through mutual acquaintances, married in 1990, and soon sought a business opportunity to support their growing family. When the previous owner of Mrs. Cooley Donuts decided to sell her store, the Lys seized the opportunity. Inspired by its biblical meaning, Ngi renamed the shop “Manna Donuts” to symbolize nourishment and generosity. Since then, Manna Donuts has built a reputation for

Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains & Groceries Returns This Spring With Four New Southern California Stores

Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains & Groceries (PNSBG) is making a highly anticipated debut to Southern California this spring. After nearly a decade since its acquisition by Big Lots, the iconic discount store Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains is being revived under new ownership and a refreshed concept, Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains & Groceries. Led by President and Founder Mark J. Miller (former CEO of the original Pic ‘N’ Save), along with a team of investors, PNSBG is bringing a unique, elevated shopping experience to familiar locations once occupied by 99Cent Only Stores. The newly reimagined Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains & Groceries will continue its legacy of offering quality, brand-name products at unbeatable prices. In addition to its core selection of home goods, general merchandise, and treasure hunt closeouts, the store will also feature a variety of produce including fresh milk, eggs, deli products, and groceries. This expanded range of offerings ensures that Pic ‘N’ Save Bargains & Groceries can meet all of its customers’ shopping needs in one convenient location. “While we’re bringing back the same commitment to unbeatable bargains, we’re also offering a wider variety