Here Comes the Sun: David Macaulay and more

Here Comes the Sun: David Macaulay and more – CBS News Watch CBS News Author David Macaulay sits down with Martha Teichner to discuss how he’s found ways to explain things in his last two dozen books over the course of his fifty-plus-year career. Then, Conor Knighton visits the Black Beauty Ranch in East Texas to learn how the newly named Humane World for Animals is caring for and protecting animals across the globe. “Here Comes the Sun” is a closer look at some of the people, places and things we bring you every week on “CBS Sunday Morning.” Be the first to know Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Not Now Turn On

Winning $515 million Powerball ticket sold at Anaheim 7-Eleven

ANAHEIM — A ticket with all six numbers in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing was sold in Anaheim and the player has the option of receiving the $515 million jackpot in 30 installments or a $243.8 million lump sum payment before federal taxes, the California Lottery announced. The Anaheim 7-Eleven where a Powerball ticket worth $515 million was sold is seen Saturday night, March 29, 2025. (Photo by RMG News) The 7-Eleven store that sold the ticket is at 763 North Euclid Street, south of La Palma Avenue, the lottery website said. It wasn’t immediately known who purchased the ticket or when it would be claimed. RMG News, an independent news video provider, reported a store worker, having learned the winning ticket was sold there, called the store owner and told the owner: “It’s a jackpot from our store.” “$515 million, from our store,” the worker told the owner. “We got it, someone bought it from here. … We are very happy.” The numbers drawn Saturday were 7, 11, 21, 53, 61 and the Powerball number was 2. The drawing was the 29th since the last

Powerball Ticket Worth $515 Million Sold in Anaheim

A ticket with all six numbers in Saturday evening’s Powerball drawing was sold in Anaheim and the player has the option of receiving the $515 million jackpot in 30 installments or a $243.8 million lump sum payment before federal taxes, the California Lottery announced. The numbers drawn Saturday were 7, 11, 21, 53, 61 and the Powerball number was 2. The drawing was the 29th since the last time a ticket with all six numbers was sold. There were five tickets sold with five numbers, but missing the Powerball number — two in Georgia and one each in Ohio, Oregon and Texas, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association, which conducts the game. They are each worth $1 million. The odds of matching all five numbers and the Powerball number is 1 in 292.2 million, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association. The overall chance of winning a prize is 1 in 24.9. The Powerball game is played in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. The jackpot for Monday’s drawing will be $20 million.

Winning $515 million Powerball ticket sold in Southern California

One lucky Southern Californian is the state’s newest millionaire after a Powerball ticket worth $515 million was sold in Orange County. The sole winning ticket hit all five numbers: 7, 11, 21, 53, 61 and a Powerball of 2 after Saturday night’s drawing. It was sold at a 7-Eleven store located at 763 North Euclid Street in Anaheim. A second person who hit five numbers but no Powerball will take home $279,863. The 7-Eleven store that sold the winning ticket will be paid a $1 million bonus. Saturday night’s drawing was the 29th consecutive draw since Fenando Cervantes, Jr. in Oregon won a $328.5 million jackpot on Jan. 8 earlier this year, lottery officials said. The next Powerball drawing will take place on Monday, March 31 and the top prize will reset to $20 million.  “Every California Lottery game sold contributes to the Lottery’s mission of raising extra money for California’s public schools,” lottery officials said. “These funds support a variety of programs across the state.” Powerball tickets are $2 per play and drawings take place every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night at 7:59 p.m.

Suspect shot by deputies near West Hollywood shopping mall

A suspect was shot by deputies at a busy intersection near a West Hollywood shopping mall, prompting a large street closure Saturday night. Shortly before 6 p.m., Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies responded to a domestic violence incident on the 7100 block of Santa Monica Boulevard. Although details remain limited, a woman at the scene told KTLA’s Rachel Menitoff that her ex-boyfriend had allegedly attacked her and then followed her into a nearby alley. That’s when a bystander called the police.  A suspect was shot by deputies near a busy intersection in the heart of West Hollywood, prompting a large street closure on Santa Monica Boulevard. (KTLA) A suspect was shot by deputies near a busy intersection in the heart of West Hollywood, prompting a large street closure on Santa Monica Boulevard. (KTLA) A suspect was shot by deputies near a busy intersection in the heart of West Hollywood, prompting a large street closure on Santa Monica Boulevard. (KTLA) A suspect was shot by deputies near a busy intersection in the heart of West Hollywood, prompting a large street closure on Santa Monica Boulevard. (KTLA)

Protesters gather outside Tesla dealership in northeast Fresno

Sunday, March 30, 2025 3:58AM Heated moments between opposing protesters in front of the Tesla dealership in northwest Fresno Saturday afternoon. FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) — Heated moments between opposing protesters in front of the Tesla dealership near Palm and Herndon in Northwest Fresno. The tense moments were a concern for some protesters. “It’s scary but at the same time I’m still gonna be here. Because this definitely… this needs to be heard, people need to be standing up and fighting,” protester Amanda Gann said. There was a sea of signs alongside traffic some held signs that read “deport Elon.” While others in support of Musk waved signs that read “Thank You, Elon.” One protester who didn’t want to be on camera says it was important for her to show support for the CEO. She believes Musk is receiving unfair scrutiny. Organizers say Saturday’s protest was part of a global day of action. From Florida to Chicago to Ohio, people showed up to make their voices heard. “We put Donald Trump and Elon Musk and the Trump administration and his agenda into office, and now it’s

Fundraiser held for beloved Clovis tattoo shop owner hospitalized following motorcycle crash

Sunday, March 30, 2025 3:20AM Hundreds gathered Saturday to help raise money for a beloved Clovis tattoo artist who is in critical condition following a motorcycle crash. CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) — Hundreds gathered at High Sierra Tattoo in Clovis on Shaw to rally around family and friends of Josh Farmer, the owner of the shop, a respected tattoo artist and motorcycle rider. ”I’ve always loved the purr of a bike and it reminds me of my brother. I want to hear it. It’s amazing,” Josh’s sister Rochelle Garcia said. He was left in critical condition after a tragic motorcycle crash last weekend during a ride with friends heading to Bass Lake. Eric Bangerter was one of the friends on the ride. ”When I was coming around the turn, I just saw a bunch wreckage on the street and I didn’t know what it was so I kind of went around the wreckage and that’s when I saw the bike and then I saw Josh in front of the bike,” he said. Action News spoke with Josh just last August when he was organizing a fundraiser

4 alleged gang members arrested in major South Valley drug bust, officials say

Sunday, March 30, 2025 3:16AM Four gang members are in jail after a major drug bust in the South Valley. TULARE COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) — Four gang members are in jail after a major drug bust in the South Valley. The arrests follow several search warrants executed in Porterville, Tulare, Poplar and Earlimart Friday morning. Detectives from the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office, Porterville Police, Kern County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Corrections and California Fish and Game found illegal cocaine sales and seized around 800 marijuana plants and several firearms. Active gang members, 25-year-old Fernando Moreno-Morales, 24-year-old Carlos Farfan, 24-year-old David Vielma and 35-year-old Alejandro Gutierrez were all arrested and booked into jail. Copyright © 2025 KFSN-TV. All Rights Reserved. Top Stories

Is Chipotle closing all its restaurants after filing for bankruptcy? Here’s what we know

(FOX40.COM) — A nightmare for burrito bowl lovers seemingly came true after rumors swirled that Chipotle filed for bankruptcy and was set to close all its restaurants. But is that true? Chipotle is popular for its sizeable burritos, bowls, quesadillas, and tacos. The restaurant chain boasts of using organic ingredients and has nearly 4,000 locations all over the world. News of Chipotle closing down popped up on March 20 when the Union Rayo media outlet posted a story about the closure of a Chipotle spinoff restaurant, Farmesa Fresh Eatery. When the story was published, it reportedly included a photo of Chipotle on the cover. Burrito lovers rejoice: Chipotle isn’t closing, despite social media rumors Social media was in a frenzy after the news went viral. “How (is) Chipotle goin(g) bankrupt when I get a bowl with extra chicken and guac everyday?????,” one user wrote on X. Another user joked about locking herself inside Chipotle to prevent the restaurant from closing. “They(‘re) talkin(g) about Chipotle closing, I’ll chain my wrist to the door don’t play with me,” she said. Days after the closure reports, Chipotle addressed

Teen speaks out after DUI crash killed her mother, relatives in Pomona

A Southern California teenager is speaking out after a violent DUI crash killed three of her family members, including her mother, on the 60 Freeway. Amid heartbreak and anguish, 17-year-old Itzel Moreno said she’s trying to hold it together for her family. “We’re here to raise awareness about drunk driving and just trying to raise funds for the funeral because it is three of them that we have to bury and it is a lot,” Itzel told KTLA’s Jennifer McGraw. Itzel’s mother, Rachel Moreno, her Tia Jazmine Ramos and her one-and-a-half year old nephew Ezra were all taken away in a split second on the night of March 22. “He hit them, head on, and killed them instantly,” said Itzel. Rachel Moreno, Jazmin Ramos and her 1-year-old son Ezra seen in an undated photo. (Viewer Image) A brutal crash involving a wrong-way driver killed two people in Pomona late Saturday, March 23, 2025. (KNN) A brutal crash involving a wrong-way driver killed two people in Pomona late Saturday, March 23, 2025. (KNN) A brutal crash involving a wrong-way driver killed two people in Pomona late

Man killed by hit-and-run driver in South Los Angeles

Police are searching for a driver who killed a man in a hit-and-run crash in South Los Angeles. The collision occurred on Feb. 24 as the victim, identified only as a man in his 60s, was crossing the road in the Vermont Vista neighborhood. In surveillance footage released by the Los Angeles Police Department, the man is seen pushing what appears to be a walker or a small cart as he crosses Figueroa Street near 104th Place at around 7 p.m. Surveillance footage showed the victim crossing Figueroa Street near 104th Place in South L.A. when he was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver in a white sedan on Feb. 24, 2025. (Los Angeles Police Department) Surveillance footage showed the victim crossing Figueroa Street near 104th Place in South L.A. when he was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver in a white sedan on Feb. 24, 2025. (Los Angeles Police Department) Surveillance footage showed the victim crossing Figueroa Street near 104th Place in South L.A. when he was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver in a white sedan on Feb. 24, 2025.

One of the minds behind Let’s Go South Bay Empowerment Camp

An all-girls empowerment soccer camp in the South Bay aims to help girls come together and build confidence while finding a community through the game. SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Carolina Soto wears many hats. She’s the head coach of the Southwestern Women’s Soccer team, a mom, and one of the minds behind the creation of Let’s Go South Bay Girls Soccer Empowerment Camp. “We had to do this because these opportunities in our community don’t necessarily exist,” Soto tells me. “It’s just a place for the girls to come together to find their voice and to really just push them to believe in themselves.” Three years ago, Soto and other moms wanted to create something they didn’t see enough of in the South Bay especially for female athletes. “In the past we’ve had many of our young girls, especially ages 13 to 15 years old who get ignored and don’t have access or enough resources and a place where they can be empowered and where they can build confidence and really become young strong women,” Soto says. And this empowerment camp was the answer. To

Slow start, sloppy play dooms Sharks in loss to desperate Rangers

SAN JOSE – The San Jose Sharks can play spoiler over the final two-plus weeks of the regular season with a handful of their remaining opponents still vying for a playoff spot or jockeying for a better position. It certainly didn’t happen on Saturday, as the desperate New York Rangers taught the Sharks’ remarkably young lineup a hard lesson. The Sharks allowed two goals to Artemi Panarin in the first period and another to Adam Fox in the second and never recovered in a 6-1 loss to the Rangers before an announced sellout crowd of 17,435 at SAP Center. Cam Lund, playing in his second NHL game, provided San Jose’s lone highlight as he scored his first NHL goal with 2:15 left in the third period to help the Sharks avoid the shutout. Goalie Alexandar Georgiev stopped just 19 of the first 24 shots he faced, with Fox and ex-Shark Jonny Brodzinski scoring on back-to-back shots in the third period to secure the Rangers’ win. But Sharks coach Ryan Warsofsky wasn’t going to pin Saturday’s result on just his goalie, as the Sharks took a decided

Hometown kid Leroux helps San Jose Earthquakes tie Seattle Sounders, 1-1

SAN JOSE – Hometown product Beau Leroux scored his first MLS goal as the San Jose Earthquakes tied the Seattle Sounders 1-1 Saturday night at PayPal Park. Leroux, 21, a product of the Santa Cruz Breakers, Santa Teresa High School and San Jose State, put the Quakes ahead in the 32nd minute. The attacking midfielder stole a pass just outside the box and stepped into a shot that deflected off a sliding defender and looped over keeper Stefan Frei. But that was just one of three shots on goal for the Quakes (2-1-3), who had lost three straight after winning their first two. Seattle (1-3-2) outshot San Jose 26-9 and eventually tied the game in the 80th minute. Leroux was a second-round pick (42nd overall) in the 2024 MLS SuperDraft. He played last season on The Town FC, San Jose’s MLS NEXT Pro team, but has started every game this season under first-year coach Bruce Arena. Leroux wasn’t the only local college player on the field for the Quakes. Reid Roberts, 21, who played the past three seasons at USF and was the fifth overall pick in

Vallejo tough: Texas Tech guard Chance McMillian leaves it all on the floor in final collegiate game

SAN FRANCISCO — There was no guarantee Texas Tech would have senior guard Chance McMillian available for Saturday’s Elite Eight game against Florida.  The 6-foot-3 guard had been dealing with an oblique injury for two weeks that kept him out of the team’s last four games and all three of Texas Tech’s NCAA Tournament contests.  Texas Tech coach Grant McCasland had no expectations for McMillian to play, especially after he was a late scratch for the Red Raiders’ Sweet 16 game against Arkansas.  But from the moment he woke up on Saturday morning, McMillian knew he was going to suit up no matter what. With this year being his last and a chance to go to the Final Four on the line, there was no way he was going to watch from the bench again. Texas Tech Red Raiders’ Chance McMillian (0), right, sits on the bench while playing the Arkansas Razorbacks in the first half of their Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at Chase Center in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, March 27, 2025. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group) 

L.A. hospital needs help identifying man found injured in Lincoln Heights

A Los Angeles hospital needs help identifying an injured man. On March 26, the man was found on Forney Street in a residential area in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood. He was transported to the Los Angeles General Medical Center where he remains hospitalized. He did not have any personal belongings to help staff identify him. Hospital workers need help identifying a male patient found injured in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles on March 26, 2025. (Los Angeles General Medical Center) He is described as a man around 30 years old who stands 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 149 pounds. He has brown eyes, dark brown hair and a short beard. The extent of his injuries was not released. Workers are hoping to locate his loved ones. Anyone who recognizes the man or has additional information is asked to call Cesar Robles, a clinical social worker, at 323-409-3859 or the L.A. General Medical Center’s Department of Social Work at 323-409-5253. After hours, the public can call 323-409-6883.

West Hollywood Sheriff’s Deputy Opens Fire on Suspect

At least one Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputy opened fire on a man in West Hollywood Saturday, sending him to a hospital for treatment. The shooting occurred at 5:57 p.m. Saturday in the 7100 block of Santa Monica Boulevard, near La Brea Avenue and the West Hollywood Gateway shopping mall, Deputy Gabriela Robles of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau told City News Service. The suspect was taken by ambulance to a hospital and had stable vital signs, sheriff’s officials said. It was unclear what the man was suspected of doing, and there were no immediate reports of a weapon being recovered. All the deputies were safe, Robles said. Multiple streets in the area were closed for the shooting investigation. Sheriff’s homicide detectives were on the scene conducting one of the investigations that result when a deputy wounds a person, officials said.

Sheriff’s Office identifies San Diego police snipers who killed armed man in Scripps Ranch

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Office  has released the names of San Diego Police Department SWAT team members involved in the shooting death Tuesday of a 59-year-old man who reportedly brandished a gun in a residential neighborhood north of Scripps Ranch. The officers are identified as Brandon Jordan, a 17-year veteran of the San Diego Police department and SWAT sniper assigned to Central Division Patrol, and Chris Lingenhol, a SWAT sniper who has been with the force for 10 years, currently assigned to patrol at the Mid City Division.   The March 25 shooting came after police responded to a 911 call of a man reportedly pointing a gun at people near Angelique Street and Cypress Canyon Road south of the Scripps Parkway. The area is known as Miramar Ranch North. San Diego police snipers kill armed man near Scripps Ranch A perimeter was set up around the gunman to protect neighbors and help evacuate a pest control worker who had taken cover in his work vehicle. According to the Sheriff’s Office, as SWAT officers approached the alleged gunman, the suspect pointed a firearm in the